Lifestyle

Toddler’s finger ‘almost sliced off’ by popular £6 Ikea folding chair

A toddler faces being scarred for life after her finger was caught in an Ikea folding chair.

Horror photos show the injuries suffered by 14-month-old Kaylah Bennett on Friday evening.

Sophie Marie Bennett had been at home baking with her daughters when her toddler Kaylah’s finger became trapped in the £6 plastic chair, reports BirminghamLive .

The 14-month-old, from Walsall, was blue-lighted to hospital and had to have an operation to reattach her finger as ‘less than 20 per cent was in tact.’

Now, the family are waiting to see if the operation was successful or whether the finger will have to be amputated.

Sophie, who is also mum to Khyanna, nine, and Tiyane, six, said: "She was getting off the chair when it folded and her fingers got crushed between the metal.

"I went to grab her and I could see the tip of her finger was literally hanging off, bone on show.

"I’ve never seen so much blood, it wouldn’t stop bleeding."

Sophie’s eldest daughter ran for towels whilst Sophie rang 999.

"When we got to hospital, they didn’t know whether to send her to trauma or plastic surgery because her hands are so small," said Sophie, who is a widow.

"So, she was sent to Birmingham Children’s Hospital where they managed to reattach her finger tip but they don’t know yet whether it will be successful."

She added: "Her body has to naturally connect the two sides and we won’t know whether that has worked until her bandages come off in seven days time.

"It needs to heal itself but it may just start to die, in which case it might need to be amputated.

"They have already said her finger will be permanently deformed."

The ‘Gunde’ chair is a folding seat that is used in homes up and down the country as it costs just £6 from Ikea.

Sophie shared graphic photos of her daughter’s injuries on Facebook with the message: "How a 2kg chair that “has been tested for home use and meets the requirements for durability and safety, set forth in the following standards: EN 12520 and EN 1022” can almost completely severe her finger is beyond me.

"The amount of blood that poured from her tiny little body, the pain in her face, will haunt me forever."

She told BirminghamLive: "We’ve had several of these chairs because they only cost £6 and they fold so you can tuck them away nicely and just bring them out when you need them.

"All my daughters have sat on those chairs. We’re getting rid of them now."

She added: "I’ve spoken Ikea and they have offered to reimburse any medical costs and have said they’ll be in touch in 48 hours after they have spoken to someone in Sweden about quality assurance.

"My poor baby. She just keeps pointing to her finger and saying ‘hurt me’."

She added: "When we got back home from the hospital, there was blood everywhere and all the baking stuff was still out.

"It made me feel so sad. We’d been baking to celebrate Khyanna getting 100 per cent at school. It was supposed to be a happy time.

"Paracetamol calms Kaylah for around an hour but then she just keeps crying in pain. There’s only so much medicine I can give her.

"We had around an hour and half’s sleep last night."

Doctors have warned the Sophie that her daughter’s finger is likely to be permanently deformed and they don’t know yet where her nail will grow back.

"It’s her engagement finger and she might not have a nail on that finger, which will be so sad if someone proposes to her.

"But right now, that’s not my worry. I just want her to be able to use her finger."

She said: "I wanted to share the photos because I’m scared it will happen to other children.

"I want to be sure that this will not happen to another innocent child as it has my child, who will have to live with the consequences for the rest of her life.

"I want to know how Ikea will ensure that another parent will not go through this traumatic experience."

A spokesman for Ikea said: "We have recently been made aware of an incident involving our GUNDE folding chair.

"The safety of our products is always our highest priority and as soon as we were made aware of this incident we began a thorough investigation.

"We are, of course deeply, concerned to hear about this incident and have been in direct contact with Ms Bennett.

"We continue to investigate this matter further."

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • 5 teens arrested after man ‘fled gang’
  • Up-to-date snow warnings
  • Passengers ‘fat pigs’ meltdown
  • Brit says wife was real killer

Source: Read Full Article