Leanne Maguire fell ill on day three of her two-week holiday and spent the rest of her dream vacation in bed – before enduring "five years of pure hell".
The 37-year-old said she was diagnosed with viral gastroenteritis caused by food poisoning when returning home and was rushed to intensive care.
She was later put in a medically induced coma for a week as her devastated family feared she could die.
On waking it was revealed that the bug had given her septicaemia, e-Coli and pneumonia as well as liver, lung and kidney failure, The Mirror reported.
The accounts supervisor claims she lost more than 5stone in weight and lots of her hair from malnutrition.
The mum, who has a 15-year-old son Rhys, said: “I could not grasp how a bout of food poisoning led me to death’s door. Then I realised how nasty this condition can be.
"I had to take half a year off work and needed counselling to get my life back on track. I looked so different that I found it difficult to accept myself."
Only five years later has she finally received compensation from Thomas Cook – who finally settled out of court after five years, just before the case was to be heard.
Leanne, from Runcorn in Cheshire, said she spent her £3,500 holiday at the Temptation Cancun Resort being violently sick.
Her August 2013 vacation was "completely ruined", she said, but the real nightmare had only just begun.
She flew back to the UK for five days of tests and was initially sent home with painkillers – but was forced to return when her urine turned BLACK and even drinking water made her sick.
On her third admission to hospital she was admitted to intensive care.
"At that point I thought my body was about to shut down completely as I couldn’t feel anything,” said Leanne.
Despite her recovery, the poisoning has left her with coeliac disease – meaning she cannot eat products containing gluten.
Leanne said she was "delighted" that Thomas Cook had finally admitted liability after enduring "five years of hell".
Thomas Cook said: “Customer well-being is always our priority. We’re very sorry Ms Maguire was ill at the resort.
“This was a complex case. Medical evidence and time were needed to determine the appropriate level of damages.”
Source: Read Full Article