Turkey’s leader on Sunday offered his “condolences” for the four Americans killed in a suicide attack in Syria this week during a phone call with President Trump, the White House said.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan “expressed his condolences for the tragic loss of American lives in Manbij, Syria this week,” the readout of the call between the two leaders said.
The White House said Trump and Erdogan agreed to work out a solution for northeast Syria that “achieves our respective security concerns.”
Trump announced last month that he would withdraw the roughly 2,000 US troops stationed in Syria.
They are backing Syrian-Kurdish forces that are battling Islamic State terrorists.
Erdogan, who views the Kurdish fighters as terrorists aligned with insurgent groups inside Turkey, has said he would launch military operations against them.
The four Americans were among 19 people killed in a suicide bombing that ISIS claimed responsibility for.
Navy Chief Petty Officer Shannon Kent, 35, of Pine Plains in Dutchess County, Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Jonathan Farmer, 37, of Boynton Beach, Fla., former Navy SEAL Scott Wirtz, 42, of St. Louis, Mo., and Ghadir Taher, 27, of Georgia, who was working for the Army as an interpreter for a defense contractor, were killed in the attack.
Source: Read Full Article