Prince Harry has officially kept hold of a prestigiousroyal title because stripping him of it would have been an embarrassment, an expert said.
King Charles has decided against formally removing princesHarry andAndrew from their roles as Counsellors of State.
Instead, he has expanded the pool of advisors that can assist him in official business if he is out of the country or unwell – meaning the pair will not have to be called upon.
The title has now been extended to the 74-year-old monarch’s siblingsAnne, Princess Royal and Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex.
Until the death ofQueen Elizabeth, the positions of Counsellors of State had been held by the then Prince Charles,Prince William, Prince Harry, 38, and Prince Andrew, 62.
They were selected because they were the four next in line to the throne over the age of 18.
Daily Mirror Royal Editor Russell Myers talked about the Duke of York and the Duke of Sussex's positions as Counsellors of State duringThe Royal Beatprogramme on True Royalty TV channel.
He said: "The fact is, they didn’t want to remove them completely, because that would have been terribly embarrassing, and Charles is all about unity within the family.
"[But] he does understand that there is public feeling towards those two in particular… I think some people are aggrieved at how Harry had gone about treating his family.
"There was obviously an awful lot of support for the way he did leave the family and chose his own destiny, but I don’t think people agree with the fact that if you leave, you should then be able to deputise for the monarch!"
Prince Harry and Meghan Marklestepped down as senior working royalsin 2020. Andrew, meanwhile, has been banished from public life over his connection with Jeffrey Epstein.
He stepped down from royal duties and the Queen also stripped him of his military affiliations and patronages in the wake of allegations made against him by Virginia Giuffre. The Duke strongly denied the claims.
On The Royal Beat, Russell also discussedPrince William and Princess Kate’s upcoming US tour. The Prince and Princess of Wales, both 40, are set to head to America on 2 December for the Earthshot Prize, launched by William in 2020 to celebrate initiatives across the globe that positively impact the environment.
Russell said: "I’ve seen the schedule and there’s a lot to look forward to – they’re going to be getting in and amongst the crowds."
Ingrid Seward, Editor in Chief of Majesty Magazine, told the programme US crowds will have a different view of the Princess of Wales compared to the Duchess of Sussex.
She said: "The Americans I know all love the Princess of Wales.
"They adored Diana – no one will replace her – but they love the Princess of Wales now, and I think they think she’s absolutely gorgeous. And she’s a princess. To them, Meghan isn’t a princess."
- Click here for today's top showbiz news
- Save over £1,000 on luxury pampering with the OK! Beauty Box Black Friday deals
- Take a look back on an unforgettable year for the Royal Family with the OK! Royal Special: A Historic Royal Year Pick on sale online or at your newsagent now for £9.99
- Who do you want to win I’m A Celebrity 2022? Tell us in our poll
Get exclusive royal stories straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter
Source: Read Full Article