George Brooksbank dead: Princess Eugenie's father-in-law died aged 72 days before her son August was christened

PRINCESS Eugenie's father-in-law has died aged 72 – days before her and husband Jack Brooksbank's son August was christened.

Jack's dad George Brooksbank passed away this week after being "ill for some time" following a battle with Covid-19 last year, sources claim.

It's a huge blow for Eugenie and Jack, whose nine-month old son August Philip Hawke Brooksbank was christened at the All Saints Chapel in Windsor Great Park yesterday.

A royal insider told MailOnline: "George had been in hospital with Covid and had not been the same after that.

"He had been unwell for some time. It’s been a difficult time for Jack losing his father before the Christening."

Another source said it was "wonderful" that George was alive to meet August after spending five weeks on a ventilator in 2020.

George's cause of death has not been confirmed.

Yesterday's joint christening for Princess Eugenie and Zara Tindall's sons – August and Lucas – was held in Windsor.

There were fears the Queen would not be able to attend after she was forced to miss Remembrance Sunday commemorations last week because of a sprained back. 

But, in a sighting that will doubtless reassure Brits across the country, she was seen being driven away from the chapel in a dark green Range Rover yesterday.

Courtiers were told the Queen was intent on witnessing the service for Lucas and August.

She decided she would be there in person after taking advice from her personal doctor.

Eugenie looked glamorous in a white silk dress, which she paired with a statement headband and blue pendant necklace for the ceremony.

Retired chartered accountant and company director George lived with his wife of 36 years, Nicola in Wandsworth, south London.

August – who is 13th in line to the throne – was born in February at London's Portland Hospital.

His christening was initially due to take place in July at the Royal Chapel of All Saints in Windsor Great Park.

However, celebrations were apparently scrapped after a fellow attendee allegedly either tested positive for corornavirus or was pinged by the NHS Covid-19 app minutes before.

Meanwhile, little Lucas Phillip Tindall arrived in quite a hurry back in March.

Dad Mike revealed on his podcast that the tot was born on the bathroom floor.

Speaking on The Good, The Bad and The Rugby, he said: "Sunday got even better because a little baby boy arrived at my house! Yeah brilliant, six o'clock last night,

"We haven't got a name yet, we're still working on it, we always struggle with that, we've never picked one before they arrived. 

"8lb 4oz, very bonny. Arrived very quickly, didn't make it to hospital, on the bathroom floor!"

Both little boys were reportedly christened with fresh holy water from Prince Charles’s trip to Jordan this week.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too.

Click here to upload yours.

Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.

    Source: Read Full Article