Full list of places where you can get debt help for free including StepChange and Citizens Advice | The Sun

MILLIONS of households are feeling the squeeze in the cost of living crisis, and may be wondering where to turn for debt help.

Inflation has soared to a 40-year high of 9.1%, pushed up by the rising cost of energy bills, petrol prices, groceries and more.

Struggling households may be able to get help through the Government's Household Support Fund – a £1.5billion pot of money being dished out to local councils to support people in their area.

And Rishi Sunak announced a raft of measures in May to help people through the cost of living crisis, including £400 for every household and an extra £650 for those on benefits.

But if you are worried about debt, you may need some more guidance.

read more in debt

12 pensioner benefits going unclaimed including heating and council tax help

All the bill help you can get on benefits as inflation rises faster than pay

We've rounded up some of the organisations that can provide free advice and support.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a national organisation with more than 20,000 volunteers who can help with everything from finding out what benefits you're entitled to, to claiming compensation for a cancelled flight.

You can find your nearest branch using the tool on its website, or you can contact them by phone on 0800 133 8848.

Its online chat tool is also available from 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday.

Most read in Money


Universal Credit: Brits to get £1,200 grant – how to check if you're eligible


I make more than £500k in just ONE WEEK renting out tents – here's how I do it


Thousands of families can get up to £100 FREE cash – are you eligible?


My family of 8 sleep in just THREE beds – we're trapped in our two bedroom flat

Citizens Advice is a free and impartial service, and it can help you come up with a plan to getting on top of your debt including which payments to prioritise and how to reduce your living costs.

The organisation's website has a useful page with advice on many aspects of debt, but you can contact it for more personalised help.

Try to gather information on all your debts before you speak to an adviser so they can help you understand what you're dealing with and the best way forward.


StepChange is another free advice service offering support and guidance to help you take control of your money.

You can do it online or over the phone, and it's completely confidential.

You'll need to provide details of your debts, income and household spending to get a clear picture of where your money goes.

It can talk you through different options such as debt management plans (DMP), individual voluntary arrangements (IVA), bankruptcy, and debt relief orders (DRO) if they are appropriate.

But StepChange said it will recommend a solution based on repayments where possible, if you can repay your debt in full over a reasonable period.

You can start the process using its website or app.

National Debtline

National Debtline is a charity run offering free and confidential advice to people in England, Wales and Scotland.

You can contact it online or over the phone on 0808 808 4000, between 9am and 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9.30am to 1pm on Saturdays.

An adviser will ask you about your income and spending, so try and have as much information to hand as possible when you call.

They will also ask for details of where you owe money, and how much you owe.

An adviser will help you work out what you can afford to repay, and help you decide on the best solution for your debt.

Self-employed workers can also get help through Business Debtline.

Other ways to get help

If you are struggling with debt, the best thing to do is seek help and not bury your head in the sand.

Local organisations may also be able to provide support in your area.

National Debtline also recommends contacting organisation such as Mind, Samaritans and Anxiety UK if debt worries are affecting your mental health.

Find out if there is financial support that could help you too.

A benefits calculator can help you work if you might be entitled to extra cash.

The Government's £1.5billion Household Support Fund sees cash dished out to local authorities to help people in their area.

Read More on The Sun

I used to work at Nando’s – there’s a secret menu most people don’t know about

I was born in a caravan on a layby – now I’m UK’s richest gypsy set to make £1bn

Contact your local council to find out what support is available where you live and if you qualify.

A number of energy firms also offer hardship grants to people who are in arrears with their bills.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article