A mother was rushed to hospital after she was bitten by a tiny octopus on a UK beach.
Jacqueline Hunt compared the "small, sharp pinch" to a "very painful injection".
Aware all octopuses "inject some venom", she rushed to hospital for treatment to her hand.
"The site of the bite began to bleed and swell almost immediately," mum-of-two Katherine told Cornwall Live .
"By now my hand was very hot and swollen, luckily I had thought to remove my wedding ring quickly, or by now it would have had to be cut off.
"I am very grateful to all the staff for the excellent NHS care I received. No-one at the Helston Cottage Hospital, nor locals who have used the estuary all their lives, had come across such an incident."
Katherine also praised the how the NHS 111 service which initially gave her advice.
She was shrimping in Helford, Cornwall, with her Richard and her daughters Emily and Isabelle on Wednesday when she was bitten.
The small octopus nipped the mum when she tried to take it out of the net.
Katherine said: "It was a beautiful, small, curled octopus, I think, and we handled it very gently and briefly.
"It must have felt threatened as it bit me on the hand quite badly.
"Initially it felt like a small, sharp, pinch, but the pain then increased significantly, and felt like a very painful injection – which I suppose it was, as I now understand that all octopuses inject some venom.
"Luckily the octopuses in Cornwall are not as deadly as the blue ringed species as featured in James Bond's Octopussy."
Richard told her to put her hand into the water and the octopus let go and swam off.
Source: Read Full Article