Woman, 79, left lying in pouring rain for two hours while waiting for ambulance

A 79-year-old woman was left laying on wet grass in pouring rain after an ambulance took two hours to reach her after she fell.

Anne Bell slipped outside Margaret Thompson Medical Centre in Speke, Liverpool, on Thursday afternoon.

Her husband  Raymond Bell said she couldn't put any weight on her leg to move so had to wait shivering on the wet grass as temperatures plummeted to 7C, the Liverpool Echo reported .

Mr Bell, 84, said: "She had an operation seven years ago on her leg and she's saying that's what's really hurting.

"She's lying on the wet grass in the pouring rain."

North West Ambulance Service said when the call came in there was an "extremely high demand".

Mrs Bell's daughter, Gillian Bird, said: "It's disgraceful, she's shivering with the cold. She's in absolute agony and she's shaking."

Ms Bird said kind neighbours came out of their homes to offer Mrs Bell a hot water bottle and and a woollen hat to try and keep her warm.

  • Ambulance left covered in blood after patient attacks medics in horrific scenes

  • Car suddenly smashes into Fiat showroom after huge crash at 'accident blackspot'

Mr Bell said he and his wife had travelled to the medical centre for an appointment, but Mrs Bell slipped on the grass on the way out.

The couple phoned an ambulance at about 12.30pm but Mr Bell claims they were told it could take up to an hour and a half.

And it wasn't until after 2.30pm that the ambulance actually arrived.

Mr Bell said: "The call handler said there was nothing available at the moment, but we can't wait on the pavement forever."

Photos from the scene were taken as an ambulance arrived, at about 2.50pm, and Mrs Bell was treated after suffering a long wait.

Staff from the medical centre, on East Millwood Road, helped Mrs Bell and covered her with an umbrella.

Ms Bird added: "The staff inside of the centre were brilliant."

A spokeswoman for North West Ambulance Service said: “We apologise for the delay and understand that waiting for an ambulance is a very distressing time.

“We do always try to send the most appropriate response as quickly as possible however, at the time of the call, we were experiencing extremely high demand.

"This meant that a resource wasn’t available to respond to the patient as quickly as we would have liked.

“We hope the patient is recovering well and would be happy to discuss this case in more detail with her or her family if they would like to contact our Patient Safety Team.”

Source: Read Full Article