Ashleigh Barty's French Open preparations have hit a stumbling block with the world No.8 withdrawing from a lead-up tournament with a recurring arm injury.
Barty withdrew from her first-round match against compatriot Daria Gavrilova at the Strasbourg International on Tuesday.
Ashleigh Barty is resting in the hope of being 100 per cent for the French Open and the grass court season.Credit:AP
The right arm injury appears to have been one she has battled with from time to time, as Barty told tournament media she'd had it on-and-off since she was 16 years old.
"I felt that it was back. I tested myself, but this morning [Tuesday], I knew that I will not be able to play," she said.
"Next week there is Roland-Garros … Then it's the grass season. I will have two very busy months. For now, the only thing to do is to spend two or three days without touching the racket. I hope that I will be 100 per cent … next week. "
The top seed at the tournament, the Queenslander was replaced in the draw by Latvian lucky loser Diana Marcinkevica.
Barty had been one of the form players of the year with 24 wins from 29 matches, including victory at the Miami Open and a runner's up performance in Sydney to start the season.
But it has also been a heavy workload for the former Wimbledon junior champion who has continued to play doubles, and took out the Rome tournament just last week with Victoria Azarenka.
Source: Read Full Article