Sport

Conor McGregor’s elderly punch victim ‘couldn’t leave home for a week’ because his face was so sore – The Sun

CONOR MCGREGOR'S alleged punch victim 'couldn't leave home for a week' due to his face being so sore, friends claim.

In a video leaked on Thursday, the MMA superstar appears to strike an elderly man in the head. The Irishman will now appear in court in October to face assault charges.



The victim, a 50-year-old Dubliner, made a statement to gardai but has reportedly told friends he isn't interested in an apology or compensation, only justice.

One of his friends told the Irish Sunday Mirror that the man was "minding his own business" when the incident happened.

Quoted by the Daily Mirror, the friend said: “He was having his pint when McGregor came in and offered everyone a drink of his whiskey.

“Conor insisted he take it and when he refused a second time McGregor wasn’t impressed.

“Next thing he punched him in the side of the face. He didn’t feel the pain of it at the time but the next day he was in bits. It was a proper hard hit.

“His face was very sore. He was very shaken by the whole thing and didn’t leave his house for days."

PROPER TWELVE

McGregor, 31, had purchased a bottle of his Proper Twelve whiskey and poured three shots on the bar.

After he and another man downed the drinks, the alleged victim is said to have refused the offer.

Reportedly offended by the response, McGregor appeared to punch him in the head before being dragged out the boozer by his companions.

The fighter faces a minor assault charge after the Director of Public Prosecutions ruled there was enough evidence to charge him.

And The Salty Shamrock, an Irish bar in Florida, has announced it will no longer carry McGregor's whiskey or associate its business with his name.

McGregor is to be summoned to appear at Dublin District Court to answer the charge. If convicted, he will be required to pay a fine for the offence.

The DPP made the ruling after investigators completed their probe after a complaint was made against the sports star.

TAKING OFFENCE

The Irish Sun has learned the man had already ordered a taxi to go home.

McGregor, 31, entered the pub, greeted punters before ordering a bottle of his own Proper Twelve Whiskey.

The footage, published by US site TMZ, shows how he gets glasses and places them in front of drinkers who were out for a pint.

But the man then puts the glass up on a ledge, indicating he was not interested in McGregor's offer.

He allegedly told him: "I don't want to drink that s***".

The former UFC champ takes offence and places the glass in front of him again.

But the customer does the same again and it appears words are exchanged.

Sources claim that McGregor walked down the pub where he engaged with others before making his way back up. It was then he landed the innocent man with a smack.

But the alleged victim sat on the bar stool unfazed before finishing his pint and going home in the taxi he had ordered.

MCGREGOR TO BE CHARGED

The Irish Sun understands McGregor was in the pub for less ten minutes.

The man, who is from the area, claims he was struck on the side of the head.

The man has made a statement to Gardai and this was included in the file sent to the DPP.

Cops have also gathered CCTV footage as part of their file. McGregor is at the centre of a Section Two Assault probe. If charged, the case would be dealt with in the District Court.

MAC'S MOST NOTORIOUS MOMENTS

AUGUST 17, 2016: McGregor’s camp is embroiled in a clash ahead of UFC 202 against Nate Diaz’s team at a press conference in Las Vegas, with bottles, cans and cups of coffee thrown. He was later fined €135,000 by the Nevada’s State Athletic Commission.
NOVEMBER 10, 2017: The UFC star jumped into the cage to celebrate a victory achieved by fellow Irish fighter Charlie Ward. In the process, at Bellator 187 in the 3Arena, McGregor clashed with ref Marc Goddard and appeared to strike Bellator official Mike Johnson in the face. He later apologised.
NOVEMBER 30, 2017: McGregor arrived at Blanchardstown District Court in a flashy BMW i8 sports car before being fined €400 for speeding. He was clocked speeding 58kph over the limit on the N7 Naas Road in March of that year.
APRIL 5, 2018: McGregor grabbed a metal trolley and threw it, shattering the window of a bus carrying UFC rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in New York. He was later sentenced to five days of community service and to attend anger management classes.
NOVEMBER 28, 2018: The MMA ace was disqualified from motoring for six months and fined €1,000 for speeding. He was clocked at 154kph in a 100kph zone. He told the court: “I apologise, that’s all I can say. I didn’t know I was going that fast.”
MARCH 11, 2019: CCTV footage emerged of McGregor stamping on the mobile phone of a fan in Miami. The former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion was arrested and charged with strong-arm robbery and criminal mischief over the incident involving a 22-year-old man’s phone. The charges were later dropped after the civil suit was settled.

A source said: "The file was completed, sent to the DPP and after its examination the decision has been made to charge McGregor with the lowest form of assault.

"He will now have to appear in court to answer the charge."

Our revelation comes after it emerged in May that McGregor had met with detectives over the allegation.

Along with his solicitor, he met with officers by appointment and has not been formally arrested over the matter.

'DISGUSTED'

The Irish Sun can also reveal that McGregor is no longer welcome in the local boozer.

A source said: "Everyone was disgusted with his behaviour after the pub incident and they won't let him back in."

McGregor was dressed in the same clothes on the day of the alleged incident that he wore to an MMA event on the night beforehand.

He was with coach John Kavanagh at the Wimp 2 Warrior Dublin finale, where he was supporting his friend Gerry Vegas who was competing.

A Garda spokesman said: "We are investigating an incident at a pub in Drimnagh, Dublin, on April 6. No arrests have been made. Investigations are ongoing."

PREVIOUS RUN-INS WITH THE LAW

Last year, McGregor was convicted of disorderly conduct after throwing a metal trolley at a bus carrying his UFC rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.

In March, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion was charged with strong-arm robbery and criminal mischief after stamping on 22-year-old Ahmed Abdirzak's phone in Miami, US.

These charges were later dropped.

Last November, he was disqualified from motoring for six months and fined for speeding after being clocked at 154kph in a 100kph zone.

Putting McGregor off the road for six months, Judge Desmond Zaidan landed a series of stinging blows and told him: "Speed kills."

McGregor has yet to fight since his loss to Khabib at UFC 229 on October 6, 2018.

Meanwhile, McGregor — who famously tapped out to Khabib last year — treated his daughter to a magical christening party at the weekend.

Partner Dee and son Conor Junior were also snapped with little Croia for her big day at Luttrellstown near Dublin.

Meanwhile McGregor recently splashed out over £1.8m on a plush mansion which used to belong to a son of former Taoiseach Albert Reynolds.

The Paddocks near Straffan, Co Kildare was purchased by Albert Jr in 2015, according to the Property Price Register.

The Irish Sun attempted to contact both McGregor's representatives and the Marble Arch pub for comment.



Source: Read Full Article