Coronavirus in sport LIVE: Premier League in CRISIS, Solano sorry for breaking quarantine, more events to be postponed – The Sun


THE Premier League is in crisis with players facing a potential £100million-plus pay cut as the top-fight, EFL and PFA announced that "difficult decisions" would need to be taken to keep lower-league clubs from going under.

Elsewhere, eight West Ham stars are in self-isolation after showing symptoms of coronavirus, while the US Open golf is likely to be pushed back along with more boxing bouts.

But we have some good news with ITV set to air the entirety of Euro 96 and the BBC replaying England's 4-2 thumping of Croatia when a certain Wayne Rooney announced himself on the world stage this afternoon.

Follow all the latest news and updates as the sporting world deals with the threat of coronavirus…

  • RAM THE MAN

    Aaron Ramsey has donated £10,000 to the fight against coronavirus in his homeland of Wales.

    The Juventus star, 29, gave the money to the Cardiff and Vale Health charity via an online donation.

    Ramsey posted on the charity’s JustGiving page: “We really appreciate all of your hard work.”

    The charity, who launched an appeal to raise money for local NHS workers to spend on vulnerable members of the community, praised Wales ace Ramsey’s gesture.

    The Cardiff and Vale Health charity tweeted: “We’re absolutely blown away to announce a very generous donation from Wales & @juventusfc football star @aaronramsey to our spreadthelove campaign for our staff during covid19. A huge thank you to Aaron, you’re our star!”

  • GET TOUGHER

    Conor McGregor has urged the Irish government to close Dublin Airport and bring in 24-hour police patrol to enforce new lockdown measures.

    The Notorious also asked Irish people abroad to stay where they are for the benefit of the public.

    The Dublin native praised the government’s lockdown which came into force at midnight but urged them to do more to limit the spread of the deadly disease.

    Speaking directly to the camera, the 31-year-old said: “The ceasing of public transport and closure of all non-essential business has now taken place.

    “And that is just what we need. I applaud. However, I would like an understanding of our airports. Our airports must shut.

    “The only flights to take place must be for our essential medical equipment. Or to bring our medical staff abroad back home to support.

    “The airports must be shut for everything else.”

  • NOBBY SORRY

    Former Newcastle striker Nolberto Solano has made a grovelling apology after being retained by police for breaking strict coronavirus quarantine rules in his native Peru.

    The 45-year-old was intercepted after leaving a house with retired footballer Pablo Zegarra on Thursday night.

    He angrily denied being at a party, insisting he was visiting a neighbour’s home, and raging: “The only people who can’t get together are those who are infected” in an initial refusal to accept he had been wrong.

    But the ex-international, who also played for Aston Villa and West Ham, changed his tune late last night by penning an open letter published by Peruvian media.

    He said in the long letter, written in Spanish: “I write this letter with the sole intention of apologising to you all for not having obeyed the health rules imposed by the government on the country.

    “Health and life are and must be the most important factors for us all, especially when the world is experiencing such a serious situation.

    “During my entire life, I’ve always sought the best for my country and fought for it, and I will continue to do so.

    “In this respect, I am conscious of the error I committed and will assume the consequences of my actions with the greatest responsibility, just like any other citizen who breaks a rule in our country.

    “As sportspeople we sometimes don’t have the correct notion of the impact our actions cause outside of a stadium.”

  • PEDRO'S PAIN

    Chelsea star Pedro opened up on his agony with the coronavirus lockdown preventing him seeing his children.

    The winger, 32, is in London but his family are back in his homeland, where the virus is causing devastation.

    In an interview on the Chelsea club website, Pedro said: “It’s a very delicate, complex situation. A critical situation because there have been lots of cases of infection, especially in Madrid and Catalonia, which are probably the most affected regions, but now it has spread across the country.

    “They are in total lockdown in their houses so they are living through a crisis situation. It’s also an economic crisis, of course, but at the moment that is secondary. The most important thing is that people stay at home with their family.

    “The police and army are on the streets and the situation is maybe more controlled than here in the UK but we are living in a situation of chaos and crisis because of this pandemic.”

  • HEARTLESS

    Ann Budge has warned Hearts players to take 50 per cent wage cuts by next week or she will SUSPEND their salaries, Robert Thomson exclusively reports.

    The Tynecastle chairman sent an email to first-team stars telling them of her plan to invoke controversial clause 12 – just hours after SPFL lawyer Rod McKenzie told all clubs his judgement was they CAN use it if players refuse to drop their wages.

    And now stars at other clubs are terrified their bosses will follow suit.

    SunSport revealed last week how a little-known section of a standard, off-the-shelf SPFL deal makes provision for chairmen to halt agreements if the SFA suspend football.

    McKenzie is clear that now that has happened, clubs have the contracts weighted in their favour and can suspend them if they need to.

Source: Read Full Article