Mason Greenwood: Police issue update after Man Utd striker's rape & GBH arrest | The Sun

MASON Greenwood will remain on bail following his rape arrest, police confirmed today.

The Man Utd striker, 20, is still waiting to discover his fate after he was held on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill.

Greenwood was originally due to answer his bail on April 30 but the decision was pushed back pending a court hearing.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed that hearing took place yesterday and that Greenwood will remain on bail.

A statement said: "Following a hearing yesterday (Thursday 23 June 2022), a 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill on Sunday 30 January 2022 remains on bail.

"As the outcome of bail reviews does not impact the progression of investigations, Greater Manchester Police will not be providing any further updates in relation to this case until the suspect is charged or released facing no further action."

Read more on Man Utd

Cristiano Ronaldo ‘wants to LEAVE with Bayern keen’, De Jong ‘improved offer’

Pogba’s Juventus return all but completed after terms on contract are agreed

Greenwood spent three nights in custody after police swooped on his home in Bowdon, Greater Manchester, in January.

He was bailed on February 2 and has been keeping a relatively low profile since.

The striker remains suspended by Utd but still receives his £75,000-a-week salary pending the outcome of any criminal proceedings.

The club were previously forced to release a statement confirming there has been no change to Greenwood’s status.

Most read in The Sun

end of time

EastEnders shock as major star quits the soap – as character goes for good

FASHIO-NO

Five items that make mums look old & frumpy & why it's time to ditch skinny jeans

HOLEY HELL!

Shocking moment man building a fence gets a VERY nasty surprise

'BOYS JOB'

I was on Love Island and here’s why the girls NEVER change the bed sheets

Utd initially said it did “not condone violence of any kind,” but later suspended Greenwood after cops launched a probe.

But some eagle-eyed fans discovered the player was still visible on the club’s website – leading to speculation he could be reinstated.

The statement from Utd read: “There has been no change whatsoever in Mason’s status.

“We removed his profile from the club app soon after he was removed from the squad in January.

“This was in order to remove Mason from interactive elements of the app, such as team predictions etc.

“However, his profile was never removed from the website as he remains a Manchester United player, albeit not currently part of the squad while the legal process unfolds.”

RAPE ARREST

Greenwood has been removed from FIFA 22 and dropped by sponsors Nike in the wake of the allegations.

Football Manager 2022 has also confirmed he will not feature after their recent winter update.

All merchandise bearing the No11’s name has been axed from the official Utd site and teammates have unfollowed him on Instagram.

Greenwood’s promising domestic and international career is now in jeopardy after his arrest.

The rising star has impressed on the pitch this season – scoring five goals in the Premier League and one in the Champions League.

He joined the team aged just six and rose through the ranks to land himself a regular spot on the first team.

In 2019, he became the youngest footballer to play for Utd in the Champions League when he took to the pitch aged 17.

Read More on The Sun

Coronation Street fans stunned by age gap between Audrey and Gail actresses

I’m plus size and have found three outfits that won’t cling to your stomach

Greenwood has made 129 appearances in total for the Red Devils and netted 35 goals.

In 2020, England manager Gareth Southgate gave the striker his first cap when Greenwood came off the bench in a 1-0 win against Iceland.

    Source: Read Full Article