SOME of the rules for Mike Tyson’s comeback fight with Roy Jones Jr have been revealed.
The veteran former world champions are coming out of retirement at the combined age of 105 to lock horns in California on September 12 in an eight-round exhibition showdown.
Iron Mike, 54, has shed six stone in anticipation for his return to the ring and promised to give everything once he climbs between the ropes.
Now it seems that the winner may only be determined via knockout – if either man even gets that chance.
It has emerged that the clash will be stopped if either receives a cut.
California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster spoke to Boxingscene.com to explain: “Tyson and Jones Jr won’t be wearing headgear for the fight.
“They’ll be lacing up 12-ounce gloves and there won’t be any judges present at the fight to score the action.
“So, technically there won’t be a winner unless a knockout somehow occurs. Or, either fighter is deemed unfit to continue.”
Foster added: “They can move around and make some money, but I told them ‘if you get cut, it’s over.’”
Tyson had said previously: “The rules in California are that we must wear headgear.
“We’re there to show our skills, and we’re fighting. This is what I learned in boxing when I was a young boy.
“When you sign that contract, there is an unwritten clause in there that can die at any moment during training or fighting.”
RINGSIDE NEWS LIVE: Follow for all the latest Boxing, UFC and WWE updates
Tyson earned the moniker of the “Baddest Man on the Planet” during his heyday.
He won 44 of his fights by KO and was a two-time world heavyweight champion.
Jones Jr also had a fearsome record of his own, recording 47 stoppages during his long career that only ended two years ago.
Source: Read Full Article