Newcastle fan who suffered cardiac arrest has no memory of being at Tottenham clash as son pays tribute to hero doctors

THE Newcastle fan who suffered a cardiac arrest at St James' Park on Sunday has no memory of the game, someone claiming to be his son has said.

A fan was rushed to hospital after falling ill in the stands as the Premier League game against Tottenham came to a halt.

The club released a statement on Sunday night to say the fan was stable and responsive in hospital after the scare.

And a social media user claiming to be his son issued a further update.

Paul Smith wrote: "The fan is my father. He is awake and alert in hospital, but has no memory of being at the game today.

"I wish to thank every single person who helped him, it could have been a totally different outcome without them."

The doctor who helped save a fellow Newcastle fan's life also opened up on the dramatic events.

Dr Tom Pritchard was sat 30 rows away in the Gallowgate end and rushed to help by performing CPR before Newcastle club doctor Paul Catterson joined in the effort to resuscitate the supporter.

Dr Pritchard – who was given a standing ovation upon returning to his seat – appeared on BBC Breakfast this morning to share his experiences.

The junior doctor from University Hospital of North Tees said: “It’s something you see at work fairly often, but I haven’t really had this outside of the hospital before.

“There was an elderly gentleman laid out on the seats in cardiac arrest, and CPR ongoing.

"Luckily, St Johns were fairly quick, got the pads on quickly. Took over CPR.

"Another friend, Matty, who sits next to me came over as well, and we gave the guy a shock through the defibrillator.

"He was quite fortunate, as well, as very quickly an intensive care doctor arrived, a cardiologist arrived, and we were able to bring him back again."

Dr Pritchard, who also works part-time with Middlesbrough's academy, added: "I had no idea what was going on behind me. I just went into overdrive, and focused on the matter on hand.

"When I got back to my seat, I had no idea the match had been stopped. I just focused on what was happening.

“This wasn’t just me. I had a friend helping out, and the other two doctors. St John’s were brilliant, the club doctor came over to lend a hand.

"I would say when I was walking back to my seat and 10,000 fans from the Gallowgate were chanting hero at me, that was one of the best moments of my life.”

Ref Andre Marriner stopped play as Spurs’ defender Sergio Reguilon spotted the emergency from the pitch.

Eric Dier then ran over to the dugout to call for a medical staffer to sprint into the stands with a crucial defibrillator.

A Newcastle club statement said: "NUFC can confirm that a supporter who required emergency medical treatment during today's game at St James’ Park is stable and responsive in hospital."

The incident happened two minutes before half-time, with the visitors 2-1 up thanks to goals from Tanguy Ndombele and Harry Kane.

    Source: Read Full Article