Sheff Utd stars Oli McBurnie and Rhian Brewster charged by police after Championship semi-final play-off pitch invasion | The Sun

SHEFFIELD UNITED’S Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged by the police following the ugly play-off semi-final scenes at Nottingham Forest. 

Blades striker Billy Sharp was headbutted by a fan after Forest supporters invaded the City Ground pitch having clinched a place at Wembley on penalties. 

Brewster and McBurnie were also filmed in an altercation with a supporter on the pitch.

Both “strenuously deny” the charges having voluntarily engaged in interviews with Nottinghamshire Police. 

Season ticket holder Robert Biggs, 30, pleaded guilty in May to assault and occasioning actual bodily harm to Sharp. 

He was jailed for 24 weeks.


Biggest flop XI in Prem history as £97.5m Lukaku nears Chelsea loan exit

Courtois shares steamy kiss with bikini-clad model fiancee on yacht in Ibiza

Sharp was knocked to the ground and required four stitches to his lip. 

And Forest said they will ban Biggs for life, while he was also handed a 10-year football banning order. 

In a statement Sheffield United said: “We are disappointed to learn that Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged. 

“Both players voluntarily engaged in interviews with Nottinghamshire Police in the aftermath of the fixture which saw their team-mate, Billy Sharp, the victim of assault in the chaos which followed the final whistle.

Most read in Football


Man Utd willing to sell Williams for £10m with defender surplus to requirements


Scorned Inter Ultras release statement on Lukaku's return from Chelsea


Arsenal and Jesus negotiations 'very advanced' – but Spurs & PSG still keen


Man Utd stars on their holidays from Ronaldo in Majorca to Sancho loving LA

“Brewster and McBurnie strenuously deny the charges brought against them and football manager Paul Heckingbottom, who wrote letters to the League Managers’ Association, the Professional Footballers’ Association, the EFL and FA following a number of pitch invasions last month, including one involving Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira, is continuing discussions with key stakeholders in a bid to better protect players and staff in their place of work.”

Biggs’ defence solicitor said he had handed himself in to police after seeing video footage of the attack on social media.

They added that Biggs had drunk “a quantity of alcohol” and “just followed” two friends on to the pitch. 

    Source: Read Full Article