Transfer news LIVE: Rudiger and Christensen new Chelsea offers, Erling Haaland updates, Wood JOINS Newcastle – updates

THE January transfer window is OPEN, and deals are being completed all over Europe!

Chelsea are preparing a fresh bid to keep star defender Antonio Rudiger at the club.

And the Germany ace is ready to listen in what could prove a significant breakthrough in contract talks.

And Erling Haaland is a summer target for Real Madrid, who are confident they can land both him and Kylian Mbappe.

When does the 2022 January transfer window close?

The transfer window opened on January 1, and closes on the 31st at 11pm.

Clubs will be able to sign and sell players during that time, with the Premier League's winter break due to take place while the final week of the window is going on.

Get all the latest transfer news, gossip and updates here…

JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)

  • Justin Lawrence

    Burnley’s clash with Leicester OFF 

    Burnley's home match with Leicester City tomorrow has been postponed.

    The Clarets applied to have the match called off due to a combination of injuries and new Covid cases.

    That led the club to submit a request to the Premier League for their match to be called off, which has been granted.

    The Premier League board met on Friday morning and judged Burnley did not have sufficient players to fulfil the fixture.

    It is Leicester's third Premier League match in a row that has been postponed due to Covid.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Nani set to join Venezia

    United legend Nani is reportedly on the brink of joining Venezia.

    The 35-year-old veteran’s been a free agent since leaving Orlando last month.

    Both Bologna and Genoa reportedly had the chance to sign the winger but he’s opted to join Venezia.

    And he’s arrived in the Italian city to undergo his medical and the deal will be complete in the next few hours, according to Sky Sports Italy.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Gus Poyet reckons Chelsea will be Man City this weekend – but that's more of a wish in his eyes.

    Poyet knows how important it is for the Blues to win so he's desperate for Tuchel to find a way to beat City's mighty team.

    He told BettingOdds: "I will go with Chelsea a hundred percent but that is more of a wish.

    "We need the best Chelsea to get something from this game.

    I hope that (Thomas) Tuchel finds something different. He did something different against Tottenham in the first leg. He played a different kind of system and it worked very well.

    "Maybe he finds a way to play against this incredible Man City team."

  • Justin Lawrence

    'Game of season for Chelsea'

    Ex-Chelsea star Gus Poyet reckons his former side's match against Man City this weekend is the most important game of their season.

    Poyet told BettingOdds: "Game of the season for Chelsea. Massive game."

    "This game is really important for Chelsea. It will define whether they will be challenging or not. I think losing this game will be terrible for Chelsea so I hope they go there and put a great performance."

    "What a month, you know. Sometimes you think you're doing well and when you look ahead, you say 'we're playing Tottenham three times in the same month, we're playing Liverpool at home and Man City away.' It is a month that defines your season practically."

    "Probably if Chelsea lose against Manchester City, Chelsea could be out of the race. I know that in football everything can happen, but it will become really difficult. We are talking about winning all the rest of the games, like 15 in a row. It can happen like it has happened before. But it's a massive game this weekend."

  • Justin Lawrence

    Oscar will take pay-cut to join Barca

    Oscar is reportedly ready to take a huge pay cut to join Barcelona this month.

    The Brazilian midfielder became one of the highest earning players on the planet when he left Stamford Bridge to join Chinese Super League side Shanghai Port in 2017.

    Marca claims the 30-year-old is currently the fifth best-paid star in the game on around £400,000-a-week – but he is prepared to take a significant wage cut to seal a switch to the Nou Camp.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Burnley want Andy Carroll

    Burnley are considering a move for former Newcastle star Andy Carroll, according to reports.

    Carroll, 33, departed St James' Park last summer and spent four months as a free agent before signing for Reading.

    He joined the Royals on a £1,000-a-week deal but his contract is set to expire this month.

    That could lead Burnley to pick up Carroll on a free – offering him a chance to return to the Premier League, according to The Daily Mail.

    Sean Dyche may have taken notice and Carroll's height and physique that makes him a like-for-like replacement for Chris Wood.

  • James Orr

    Ndombele set for Spurs exit

    Tottenham are aiming to loan out Tanguy Ndombele this month, according to reports.

    The midfielder, 25, has fallen down the pecking order since Antonio Conte's arrival and he now looks set to depart north London.

    And Italy is reportedly the most likely destination for Ndombele, with Spurs sounding out Juventus over a possible deal, report The Mirror.

    The hope for Tottenham is that Ndombele uses a loan switch from now until the end of the season to recapture some form.

    If he does he could reignite his Tottenham career or at least put himself in the shop window.

    But shifting his £200,000 a week wages could prove tricky for Spurs as not many clubs in Europe would be able to afford such a salary.

  • James Orr

    Arthur Melo to Arsenal latest

    Arsenal will have to buy Arthur Melo permanently from Juventus if they want the Brazilian.

    The 25-year-old midfielder has emerged as one of Mikel Arteta’s top targets during the January transfer window.

    The Gunners are desperately short of midfield options and need reinforcements.

  • James Orr

    Fabian Ruiz season stats

    How Man Utd target Fabian Ruiz has performed this season.

  • James Orr

    Man Utd eye Ruiz if Rice bid fails

    Man Utd have identified Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz as the ideal alternative to West Ham star Declan Rice.

    The Red Devils are keen to bolster their midfield in the summer following a difficult first half of the 2021-22 campaign.

    They are also expecting Paul Pogba to leave in the summer as his contract is up at the end of the season.

    Scott McTominay and Fred have impressed in recent weeks – but Man Utd still seem short in the centre of midfield.

    West Ham talisman Rice remains their preferred choice, although the England international will set them back £100million.

    But if they cannot land the 23-year-old then their Plan B is thought to be the acquisition of Spanish midfielder Ruiz, according to La Repubblica.

  • James Orr

    Tottenham vs Arsenal at risk

    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has revealed the North London derby could be called off as Arsenal are without a host of players for the clash with Spurs.

    Due to injury and illness the Gunners' squad could be as small as 12 heading into the match – leaving the fixture in danger of being called off.

    Speaking about that possibility after the Liverpool game, Arteta said: “It is a possibility in every game.

    “From our side, from the opponent’s side, because of the amount of issues everyone is having and because it is happening every week.

    “We try to prepare games thinking we are going to play.”

  • Dylan Terry

    Good morning football fans

    Chris Wood is amazed Newcastle paid Burnley £25million for him – while Manchester United could land Denis Zakaria for just £5m.

    Wood became the Prem's costliest-ever 30-something as the Toon shocked observers by triggering his release clause.

    Meanwhile, competition for Borussia Monchengladbach anchorman Zakaria is hotting up.

    Arsenal remain favourites for the Swiss 25-year-old but interim United boss Ralf Rangnick has thrust the Red Devils into contention.

    Paulo Dybala is expected to leave Juventus this summer, having previously attracted strong interest from United, Tottenham or Barcelona.

    And Chelsea flop Kenedy admits he is 'surprised’ to be recalled from his Flamengo loan as Thomas Tuchel seeks reinforcements amid injury and Covid woes.

    The Blues are also preparing a fresh bid to keep centre-back Antonio Rudiger.

    On the pitch, Arsenal defied Granit Xhaka's red card with superb defending to earn a 0-0 draw at Liverpool in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Pep out of isolation for Chelsea clash

    Pep Guardiola has given Manchester City a big boost ahead of tomorrow’s crunch clash with Chelsea.

    The Etihad boss had to stay away from his players for eight days after returning a positive Covid test on January 4.

    That meant he missed the FA Cup win at Swindon when City reported they had 21 members of the first-team bubble isolating, including seven first-team players.

    But Pep is believed to have got the all-clear to return to the training ground in midweek and put his squad through their paces yesterday.

    Even so, it has been a far from straightforward week for City ahead of what is likely to be a key game in their hopes of retaining the Prem title.

    Coach Rodolfo Borrell, who was in charge at the County Ground, remained at the helm in the early part of this week.

    Some first-team players who tested positive last week are still in isolation while a couple more are also believed to have caught the virus.

    Guardiola is expected to carry out his media duties today to give an update on the current situation before taking his place in the dug-out tomorrow lunchtime.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Stats are not Ron message

    Manchester United’s win rate since Cristiano Ronaldo returned is better when he is NOT playing.

    SunSport can exclusively reveal Ronaldo is intimidating Red Devils teammates with his fearsome old-school approach to training, diet and vision for the future.

    But the stats show that United have actually fared better WITHOUT Ronaldo in the side this term.

    The 36-year-old has played in 21 games since his free transfer from Juventus last summer.

    Despite scoring 14 times in those appearances, United have only won 10 of the matches.

    Four have been draws, while an astonishing seven have ended in defeat.

    United have also scored an average of 1.6 goals in each game featuring Ronaldo, while conceding 1.5.

    And that gives the Red Devils an overall win rate of 48 per cent. Incredibly, that increases to FIFTY per cent when Ronaldo hasn’t played.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Red Devils scared of Ron

    EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s stars are running scared of Cristiano Ronaldo as he tries to kick-start their season.

    No-nonsense Ronaldo has been shocked by the culture at the club and attitude of some of his team-mates, warning of a “nightmare” season unless it changes.

    And he told United’s young stars: “If you don’t want my help, do your job.”

    The Portuguese superstar and five-time Ballon d’Or winner, 36, grew up in a tough environment during his first spell at Old Trafford, surrounded by the likes of Roy Keane and the Class of ’92.

    Now on his return, he is trying to take on that role of the senior player but finding he is not being listened to.

    In fact, many players feel intimidated by him — particularly on the pitch.

    SunSport understands some players are even wary of making a mistake or failing to pass to him because of the reaction they might get.

    Ronaldo used to be involved in some intensely competitive training sessions that legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson had to stop early in case someone suffered an injury.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Result: Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0

    Takumi Minamino wasted a glorious late chance to give Liverpool a first-leg advantage over the ten-man Gunners in this draw.

    But overall Arsenal defended superbly after Granit Zhaka's 24th minute straight red card.

    OUR LIVE MATCH BLOG HERE HAS ALL THE REACTION

    Minamino to win it eight yards out in the 89th minute.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Zak’ll do nicely?

    Manchester United target Denis Zakaria could come as cheap as £5million.

    But they face competition from several other clubs, reportedly including Arsenal, if they bid for the Borussia Monchengladbach holding midfielder.

    Old Trafford interim boss Ralf Rangnick is a big admirer of the Switzerland star, 25.

    But as yet it appears no offer has been made.

    Credit: Getty
  • Ian Tuckey

    Messi 'almost recovered'

    Lionel Messi says he has ‘almost recovered’ from Covid after sharing an intimate snap of himself with wife Antonela.

    The Paris Saint-Germain star, 34, was struck down with coronavirus over the festive period.

    Messi and his family travelled home to Argentina to celebrate Christmas and New Years.

    But shortly after attending a concert in Rosario, Messi confirmed to fans that he had received a positive Covid test. Despite travelling back to Paris last week following a negative test result, Messi missed Sunday’s draw at Lyon.

    And on Thursday the ace revealed on Instagram: "Good afternoon. As you know I had Covid and I wanted to thank you for all the messages I received, and to tell you that it took me longer than I thought to be well.“But I have almost recovered and I am really looking forward to getting back on the field.

    “I have been training these days to put myself at 100 per cent.

    “Very nice challenges are coming this year and I hope we can meet again very soon. Thanks.”

  • Ian Tuckey

    Xh-rated Granit challenge

    Granit Xhaka once again proved his recklessness after being sent off for a waist-high challenge on Diogo Jota.

    The Swiss midfielder left the Gunners down to ten men for 65 minutes of their Carabao Cup semi-final first-leg at Anfield.

    It came after Xhaka took Jota out following a cross field pass by left-back Andrew Robertson.

    Robertson’s pass put the Liverpool forward through on goal, before Xhaka’s misstimed tackle with the score level at 0-0.

    He ended up booting Jota in the stomach as he tried to clear and immediately saw red for denying the goalscoring opportunity.

    It is the fifth time Xhaka has been sent off for Arsenal, with the other four coming in the Premier League.

    He was last sent for an early shower in Arsenal’s 5-0 hammering at champions Manchester City in August.

    No player has received more red cards with four than Xhaka since making his Premier League debut for Arsenal in 2016.

  • Ian Tuckey

    H/T: Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0

    Liverpool’s 80% of first-half possession failed to break down 10-man Arsenal’s firm, fine defending.

    OUR LIVE BLOG HERE HAS PREVIEW NEWS, ACTION AND REACTION

  • Ian Tuckey

    Fernandes accused of setting bad example

    Bruno Fernandes is setting a bad example to Manchester United starlets like Mason Greenwood.

    That’s the claim of ex-Scotland defender Alan Hutton amid claims of dressing room discontent at Old Trafford.

    Portugal superstars Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo have been accused of making their frustration on the pitch too obvious as United splutter.

    And former Aston Villa defender Hutton  told Football Insider: “Obviously we’re not privy to what’s going on in the dressing room, but there is a lot of noise around Manchester United at the moment.

    Credit: Getty

    “It’s not good. I’m hearing about things behind the scenes and that the dressing room isn’t happy. The biggest thing for me, from the outside looking in, is the body language of some of the players.

    “You can be going through a slump, which is fine, but you’re still tackling, you’re still running about the pitch.

    “Bruno Fernandes for one, a fantastic player, been excellent since he’s come to the club. He’s throwing his hands up in the air, blaming other people. This is the guy that these youngsters, like Greenwood, would look towards to really help them moving forward.”

  • Ian Tuckey

    Kenedy 'surprised' by Chelsea recall

    Chelsea flop Kenedy admits he was ’surprised’ at being recalled from his Flamengo loan deal.

    The Blues summoned the 25-year-old wideman back to Stamford Bridge yesterday after being hit by injuries in defence.

    Ben Chilwell and Reece James are both long-term casualties and Thomas Tuchel has so far failed to get Emerson Palmieri back from Lyon.

    The versatile Brazilian admits Tuchel’s decision came out of nowhere as he only discovered the news when loan side Flamengo ordered him back London.

    Speaking at Rio de Janeiro airport, Kenedy said: “I was taken by surprise. I found out yesterday night around 11 pm. Everything was very fast.

    “Chelsea had a contract with Flamengo. They asked me to present myself and I’m presenting myself. 

    “It was Flamengo that told me. I’m just fulfilling the contract.”

    Kenedy, who signed a new deal last summer, could now get a go at wing-back in Chelsea’s five-defender system.

  • Ian Tuckey

    Xhaka sent off

    LIVERPOOL 0 ARSENAL 0: Gunners’ midfielder Granit Xhaka earns a straight red for upending goal-bound Diogo Jota on the edge of the box after 24 minutes.

    And striker Eddie Nketiah looks unhappy when he is the man sacrificed four minutes later for substitute Arsenal defender Rob Holding.

    OUR LIVE BLOG HERE HAS PREVIEW NEWS, ACTION AND REACTION

  • Ian Tuckey

    It’s under way: Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0

    The battle to face Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final is up and running in the first leg at Anfield.

    OUR LIVE BLOG HERE HAS PREVIEW NEWS, ACTION AND REACTION

  • Ian Tuckey

    Ron’s a hit for six more years

    Cristiano Ronaldo is planning to play until he is FORTY TWO, writes KOSTAS LIANOS.

    Ronaldo has been criticised for United’s turbulent campaign, but the five-time Ballon d’Or winner is still going strong despite his advanced age of 36.

    The star forward has registered 14 goals and three assists in 22 appearances across all competitions so far this season and is not planning to slow down any time soon.

    The Portugal captain is confident that his body can keep going until his forties but insist that the ‘real battle is mental’.

    Ronaldo, who was among the fittest players at his new club according to tests after he rejoined United, told ESPN Brasil: “I feel happy to be a player who has shown who, in my case, longevity has been a crucial factor for me to keep playing at a high level, putting in good performances.

    “Genetically I feel like I’m 30 years old. I take great care of my body and my mind. Something I’ve learned recently is that after 33, I believe the body can deliver if you need it, but the real battle is mental.

    “Going through many things with the focus on the end goal of staying at a high level is the hardest thing, and that’s what I’ve been doing for the last few years.

    “I’ve been working and focusing more on working on my mind. I know my body will handle me because I have a lot of respect for it and I listen to it a lot.”

    Source: Read Full Article