World champion Peter Wright has opened up about a “dreadful couple of weeks” for his family.
His wife, Joanne, was rushed into A&E during the recent Grand Slam of Darts in Wolverhampton, where Peter was in action, reportedly suffering complications following an operation to remove her gallbladder.
Wright spent the night in hospital with Jo between matches at the Grand Slam. He completed his ties after being encouraged to do so by his hairdresser wife, who is responsible for Peter’s Mohawk hairstyle and head paint for matches. After going out in the group phase, Wright understandably admitted his mind was not on his game.
READ MORE: Peter Wright 'didn't care' if he won Grand Slam match after wife was rushed to hospital
“It has been a dreadful couple of weeks,” he told Oche. “Jo was in absolute agony and told me she feared she was dying because the pain was that bad.
“Firstly docs thought she was just rundown after the gallbladder and hysterectomy removal. Apparently, the pain was caused by a slit in the bile duct which meant bile was leaking inside her.
“Since then she has deteriorated with other issues including dehydration and even a collapsed lung. On top of it all, I wasn’t allowed into the hospital to see her for six days. It’s just been ridiculously worrying for us all.
Who will be the next World Darts Championship? Tell us in the comments section below.
“Obviously I couldn’t concentrate on darts at all. My mind was completely on Jo and not the Grand Slam, I was not at the races at all.
“The worry still isn’t over at all. Jo is still in hospital and is undergoing tests and trying to recover.”
Jo’s condition hasn’t been the only concern for the Wright family. Peter, who has had his own health issues this year, added: “I had my gallbladder out just a couple of months ago as well. Our daughter Naomi also had a knee op this week."
For obvious reasons, Wright has withdrawn from the upcoming Players Championship Finals at Butlin's Minehead, but he does intend to defend his world title, with the tournament beginning on December 15.
“It’s been so tough. I will return to defend the Worlds. But it’s far from the best preparation,” he said.
- Read the latest darts news from the Daily Star here
- World Championship qualifier hurls punches as fight breaks out after Russian darts match
- Michael Smith defends Fallon Sherrock decision as darts fume over World Championship spot
- Darts stars told to ‘watch out’ by former world champ as Michael Smith lands major title
- Darts fans left furious as PDC 'change the rules' meaning Fallon Sherrock qualifies for Worlds
Source: Read Full Article