Tennis ace Novak Djokovic reveals he is supporting jailed ex-coach Boris Becker’s girlfriend and son – and two of the German’s older children will visit him in prison for the first time in the coming days
- World number one Novak Djokovic opened up about his ex-coach Boris Becker
- He said Becker’s sons Noah and Elias will visit the former pundit and champion
- Becker was jailed in April for two and a half years over hiding £2.5m in assets
Novak Djokovic said he is supporting the family of Boris Becker as he revealed that his disgraced coach will be visited in jail by two of his sons for the first time in the coming days.
Speaking at a Wimbledon press conference, the world number one said he has been communicating with Becker, his former coach, through the German’s relatives.
Djokovic said Becker’s eldest son Noah, 28, and his younger brother Elias, 22, will be paying their father a visit ‘in the next few days’.
Becker, the former world number one and BBC commentator, 54, was jailed in April for two-and-a-half years over hiding £2.5 million of assets and loans to avoid paying his debts.
The six-time Grand Slam champion is currently serving his sentence at HMP Huntercombe, near Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, after he was found guilty earlier this year.
Djokovic told reporters that ‘it breaks my heart’ to see his former coach behind bars.
Novak Djokovic has revealed that three-time Wimbledon champion Boris Becker will be visited in jail by two of his sons for the first time in the coming days. Pictured: the pair together in 2014
The Serbian tennis star has been hosting Becker’s girlfriend, Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro, and Noah in his player’s box at The Championships in a show of support for the family.
Speaking after winning his second-round singles match on Wednesday, Djokovic said: ‘I haven’t been communicating directly to him but I’ve been communicating to him through them.
‘I was really glad to have hosted his girlfriend and his son, Noah, to my first round and now today second-round match.
‘Noah and his younger brother Elias are going to visit Boris I think in the next few days, for the first time since he went to prison.
‘I’ve just been trying to give support to people around him, his closest people, his family members, because I consider Boris really a family member, someone that I greatly appreciate, respect and care about.
‘We’ve been through a lot together during those three years of collaboration.
Djokovic celebrates beating Australia’s Thanasi Kokkinakis in the second round on Wednesday
Pictured: Novak Djokovic hosted Boris Becker’s girlfriend Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro and son Noah Gabriel Becker in his box during his round two victory on day three of Wimbledon
‘Our relationship dates back even before that.
‘Of course, after we finished our professional relationship, we always stayed close, him with my team, with my agents, with my family.
‘It breaks my heart to see what’s happening to him. I can only imagine how hard it is for his family members.
‘So, of course, this is a little gesture of friendship to invite them.
‘He knows and they know that they can always count on me for whatever support or help I can provide.’
Becker was declared bankrupt on June 21, 2017 – owing creditors almost £50million – over an unpaid loan of more than £3million on his estate in Mallorca.
Becker, 54, (pictured above) was jailed for two years and six months at London ’s Southwark Crown Court on April 29 after being found guilty of four charges under the Insolvency Act
The German, who has lived in the UK since 2012, is expected to serve half of his sentence behind bars.
It comes after viewers slammed the BBC over comments made by Wimbledon presenters Sue Barker and John McEnroe who sent their support to former colleague Boris as he served his prison sentence.
During the first day of coverage yesterday, seven-time Grand Slam winner McEnroe said in commentary: ‘Boris, we love you. We miss you, man.’
He was joined by Barker, who is anchoring coverage of the tournament for the final time, who said: ‘We do indeed, well said.’
The words drew outrage from some viewers who were angry at the apparent support for the convicted criminal, who had been part of the BBC’s coverage of Wimbledon last year, but was jailed on April 29 this year.
Some viewers hit out at the presenters and suggested they should not be showing support for the 54-year-old on-air.
Source: Read Full Article