Brixton O2 Academy to stay shut for a further three months

Brixton O2 Academy to stay shut for a further three months after fatal crowd crush at Asake concert killed two people while a third woman still fights for her life in hospital

  • Brixton O2 Academy will remain shut for a further three months, AMG revealed
  • Gaby Hutchinson, 23, and Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, were killed in a crowd crush
  • A 21-year-old woman remains hospitalised in critical condition after the incident 
  • Lambeth Council suspended the Brixton O2’s licence shortly after the tragedy
  • Met Police force said it will ‘seek a further suspension’ at a hearing on Monday

The O2 Academy Brixton will remain shut for a further three months after a crowd crush at the venue killed two people and leaves a third fighting for her life in hospital.

Gaby Hutchinson, 23, and Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, were fatally hurt when fans without tickets tried to enter a show by Nigerian artist Asake at the south London site on December 15.

A 21-year-old woman remains hospitalised in critical condition.

Lambeth Council suspended the Brixton O2’s licence shortly afterwards, pending a full hearing by a sub-committee on Monday, which the Metropolitan Police force said it would use to ‘seek a further suspension’.

Academy Music Group (AMG), which owns the O2, said today that it had ‘reflected deeply’ on the incident, and its Brixton venue would remain closed regardless of the licensing decision in two days.

The O2 Academy Brixton will remain shut for a further three months after a crowd crush at the venue killed two people and leaves a third fighting for her life in hospital. Pictured: The crowd outside Brixton O2 Academyon December 15


Security guard Gaby Hutchinson, 23, (left) and nursing graduate Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, (right) were fatally hurt when fans without tickets tried to enter a show by Nigerian artist Asake at the south London site on December 15

An AMG spokesperson said today that the venue ‘recognises the gravity of the events’ that occurred during last month’s concert and ‘expresses its sincere condolences to the families of those who died during the tragic incident.’

The licence holder, AMG, also expressed ‘its genuine concerns for anyone affected’ by the tragedy.

The spokesperson explained that AMG is ‘committed to understanding what happened’ on December 15 and is ‘co-operating with the various investigations that are under way.’

The firm has also provided full co-operation to the police in the conduct of their inquiries, AMG claims.

‘AMG has reflected deeply and has come to its own decision to close the premises for three months while the investigations take place,’ the spokesperson said.

‘And, at the same time, to work in partnership with the responsible authorities, which will include a review of the licence conditions and proposed amendments.

‘The company’s decision to close for this period will be the case whether or not the licence is suspended but AMG agrees to the suspension as an enforceable measure.’

Met Police said it had previously sought the longer licence suspension ‘to allow time to work with the venue to facilitate a safe reopening and to ensure appropriate safeguards, aimed at improving public safety, are in place’.

Nigerian star Asake’s (pictured) concert descended into chaos after fans were filmed clashing with police outside Brixton’s O2 Academy on December 15

Academy Music Group (AMG), which owns the O2, said today that it had ‘reflected deeply’ on the incident, and its Brixton venue would remain closed regardless of the licensing decision in two days

Heartbroken partner pays tribute to second Brixton O2 victim: Click here to read more

Gaby’s partner, Phoebie Turley, posted a picture of the couple in a social media post that said: ‘My absolute world. I love you with my entire heart and soul’

Calls to emergency services were first made shortly after 9pm on December 15 following reports that a large crowd had gathered outside the music venue.

Another call was then made at 9.35pm reporting people forcing entry into the building.

The crush left a number of people with serious injuries, with many being treated at the scene by staff, police officers and paramedics.

Mother-of-two and nursing graduate Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, and security guard Gaby Hutchinson, 23, died two days later in hospital from their injuries.

The force also confirmed to MailOnline this evening that the 21-year-old woman who was injured during the incident is still hospitalised in critical condition.

Ikumelo, Hutchinson and the woman still in hospital had been in the foyer of the venue when the crush occurred. 

Scotland Yard issued an appeal last month for anyone with information about the crush to call police the police non-emergency number on 101, providing the reference 6725/15DEC.

Alternatively, tipsters can call independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

This is a charity independent of police that does not ask for your name, trace your number or your ID address.

The Met has also set up a dedicated page for the investigation, where photos and video footage can be uploaded.

Mother-of-two and nursing graduate Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newman, East London, died in hospital as a result of her injuries two days after the fatal crush

Phoebie Turley, left, is demanding someone is held accountable for the death of her partner Gaby Hutchinson, right, who died following the crush at the O2 Brixton Academy on December 15

Mother-of-two who died in Brixton Academy crush was an autism campaigner who offered parenting tips on TikTok: Click here to read more 

Rebecca Ikumelo (pictured), 33, from Newham, east London, died in hospital after being critically injured in the crush which unfolded during Asake’s concert

Hutchinson’s partner, Phoebie Turley, 25, has also demanded that the people involved in the crush be held responsible.

‘Things like this should never have happened,’ Turley said last month. ‘Every action has a reaction, and this consequence has come out of people turning up with no tickets or turning up trying to kick through a door. 

‘For what? What purpose did that serve? Because now you have killed innocent people.’

The couple, both from Gravesend in Kent, had been dating for more than three years after meeting through mutual friends. 

Turley paid tribute to her partner saying they were the nicest person she had ever known.

‘They were just a good person,’ she wrote. ‘Gaby literally would have done anything for anyone at the drop of a hat. They weren’t bothered who you were, Gaby would have given you the shirt off their back if someone else needed it. And they were like that our entire relationship. They did everything for me from the minute we met.

‘They did not deserve this. Justice needs to be served and someone needs to be found accountable for what happened. 

‘Not just for Gaby, but just for Rebecca as well.’

Following her death, tributes also flooded in for Rebecca, with friends describing the single mother and autism campaigner as a ‘beautiful woman who radiated positive energy and was dedicated to being the best version of herself for her kids’.

In a statement, Rebecca’s family said: ‘Rebecca was a graduate of nursing. She was an adorable mother of two children who loved working with kids.

‘She was well respected in the family for her care, kindness and love. Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) meaning “Lord is Worthy”.’

Source: Read Full Article