Electric skateboard bursts into flames in 12-year-old girl's bedroom

Electric skateboard EXPLODES into flames and nearly kills a 12-year-old girl and her family as she charged it in her bedroom while she slept

  • The 12-year-old girl put her electric-skateboard on charge and went to sleep 
  • The e-skateboard’s Lithium-ion battery overheated and exploded into flames 
  • NSW Firefighter’s said the Yamba home’s smoke alarm was missing battery
  • The young girl was taken to hospital after suffering severe smoke inhalation 

A young girl is lucky to be alive after her electric skateboard burst into flames while being charged in her bedroom as she slept. 

The 12-year-old girl left her electric skateboard charging in her room at her family’s home in Yamba, a coastal town in far north New South Wales, and went to bed.  

At about midnight on Tuesday, the electric skateboard’s Lithium-ion battery exploded into flames spewing toxic fumes through the Cameron St home. 

The 12-year-old’s e-skateboard burst into flames after its Lithium-ion battery overheated (pictured)

The girl had put her e-skateboard on charge in her room before going to bed (pictured). She was woken up by the crackling sound of the fire and was later taken to hospital after suffering from severe smoke inhalation 

The girl was woken up by the crackling sound of the fire and alerted her family.  

The family-of-five safely made it out of the home as Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews from Yamba, Maclean and Grafton arrived to extinguish the blaze. 

The young girl was taken to hospital after suffering a severe case of smoke inhalation. 

Firefighters discovered the home’s smoke alarm was missing a battery and not working when the electric skateboard caught on fire. 

FRNSW has urged all Australians to check their smoke alarms to ensure they are in working order.   

Christmas shoppers are also being warned to use caution when purchasing Lithium-ion-powered devices including e-bikes, e-scooters and e-skateboards. 

Fire and Rescue NSW advice for Lithium-ion-powered devices 

Lithium-ion-powered devices include micro-mobility vehicles, such as e-bikes, e-scooters, e-skateboards 

· Don’t over-charge Lithium-ion batteries or allow them to over-heat

· Always use compliant and approved charging stations/equipment

· Avoid dropping, crushing, piercing or vibrating the power cells

· Carefully and lawfully dispose of any battery that short-circuits, malfunctions and/or suffers a system fault/s

· Be aware of defects or contamination introduced during manufacture

 Source Fire and Rescue NSW

Source: Read Full Article