Family agony as two-year-old daughter dies two days after being sent home from hospital with antibiotics for tonsillitis

A TODDLER tragically died just two days after she was sent home from hospital with antibiotics, an inquest heard.

Wyatt Rose Wheeler, two, was diagnosed with tonsillitis when her breathing became laboured and she appeared to "suck in her ribs".

But when she returned home to Newport, her parents noticed she was "breathing shallowly" and was "in and out of sleep".

The youngster was tragically found dead two days later on November 6, 2020, after being discovered unresponsive in her bedroom.

An inquest heard a medical cause of death was given as viral bronchiolitis.

The hearing was told her parents Sean and Laura Wheeler at first believed Wyatt had a cold and gave her Calpol when she fell ill.

Read more news

Black box found ‘severely damaged’ after mystery Boeing 737 crash in China

Putin likened to HITLER after ‘Ukrainians deported to work camps’

After she began struggling to breath and started "staring into space" they called their GP then 999 when they were told a doctor couldn't see them.

Paramedic Robert Huish described Wyatt as being "very pale" and said her lips were swollen and she had a runny nose.

The youngster was also "pale, lethargic but conscious" but was able to speak quietly.

Mr Huish added: "I personally had not seen an unwell child like Wyatt for a very long time," Mr Huish's statement read.

Most read in The Sun


Our neighbour put an eyesore fence in our garden, it's like a sheep pen


Jet2 flyers cheer as woman who 'slapped passengers' & abused staff is booted off


Paris Fury looks incredible as she shows off her abs 7 months after giving birth


Keith Lemon reveals his TV show has been AXED as it was ‘too expensive to make’

But the hearing was told while medics were at the home, a next door neighbour appeared and begged them to check on her husband who had collapsed.

After he was found to be in cardiac arrest, a decision was made to take Wyatt to Royal Gwent Hospital in the family car.

Dr Owain Davies, who assessed the toddler when she arrived, said he "couldn't hear any wheezes or crackles" but could see "swelling" on both tonsils.

He told the inquest: "My diagnosis was that of acute tonsillitis.

"At this time there was no suggestion of respiratory disease.

"When I assessed Wyatt I conducted a thorough respiratory examination.

"I didn't have any doubt that there was any serious underlying illness and for that reason I decided I would discharge Wyatt to her home with antibiotics prescribed."

Wyatt was given a course of penicillin and sent home where her condition worsened.

Her dad said: "We were told throughout that everything was normal.

"Everything seemed to be fine was the response that we kept getting."

Her parents found her unresponsive and started resuscitation but sadly she couldn't be saved.

Caroline Saunders, senior coroner for Gwent, recorded a conclusion of death from natural causes.

Read More on The Sun

Inside Putin’s £500m superyacht with cinema & GOLD toilet roll holder

Why Ben Foden will never cheat on me like he did with ex Una Healy

She said: "Wyatt was a two-year-old girl and had a history of respiratory problems in keeping with a child of her age."

"Wyatt Rose Wheeler died at her home address on November 6, 2020, from the effects of viral bronchiolitis. The conclusion will be recorded as a death from natural causes."

    Source: Read Full Article