THE heartbroken daughter of a "hero" surfer who was mauled to death by a 14ft shark said he had a "heart as deep as the ocean".
Mark Sanguinetti, 59, from Sydney, Australia, was fatally bitten on his upper right thigh while out in the water with his three pals – who he heroically tried to alert to the danger before he was attacked.
"We all knew him as a legend with a heart as vast and deep as the ocean, which was the first of his many loves," one of his daughters wrote in a devastating tribute.
She also invited surfers to a ceremonial "paddle out" to remember her father.
The memorial will take place on Palm Beach on May 24 at 4:30pm.
Sanguinetti's final moments were seen by one witness, Daryl, who described what happened on Tuesday morning.
"The shark came out of the water, just smashed him, five seconds later he came round and hit him again," the horrified witness told 7News.
A spokesperson for the NSW Department of Primary Industries told Daily Mail Australia that four white sharks were caught, tagged and released on Wednesday morning.
All of the sharks found were different lengths to the one involved in the devastating attack.
After analysing photos of the bite, shark scientists from the NSW Department of Primary Industry have determined a great white shark over 14ft in length is the likely species responsible.
Sanguinetti is believed to have been from out of town and took a trip to Tuncurry Beach on the New South Wales mid-north coast to enjoy the waves.
"It’s believed that when the attack occurred the man did actually see the shark and called out to try to warn others and very heroically his friends were able to bring him back into shore after he had been attacked," New South Wales Police Superintendent Chris Schilt revealed.
Brave beach-goers pulled the man from the water and medics were called at around 11am on Tuesday morning.
The surfer was dragged back to shore by his three friends and stretchered from the beach by paramedics- before he went into cardiac arrest due to significant blood loss.
His surfboard was damaged as the shark struck, which will be forensically examined to help confirm the type of shark it was.
It marks Australia's first confirmed fatal shark attack this year.
"They lifted him up, they were probably in waist-deep water, and he had horrific injuries," witness Michael Guest told 9News.
Drones deployed to search for the killer shark spotted two great white sharks this afternoon close to where the man had been surfing, which are believed to have been involved in the attack.
NSW Ambulance inspector Joshua Smyth applauded onlookers who rushed to the man's aid – despite the deadly risk in the waters.
"Bystanders, including a retired paramedic, did a valiant job pulling the patient from the water and commencing CPR before paramedics arrived," he said.
Superintendent Chris Schilt also hailed witnesses as "nothing short of fantastic in tragic circumstances."
Five ambulance teams were seen at the beach and paramedics were observed performing CPR on the man.
But "despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene", he was unable to be resuscitated, New South Wales Ambulance confirmed.
Beaches in the area have closed for at least 24 hours in the wake of the attack, described as"pretty unprecedented" by local lifesaver Brian Wilcox.
He told ABC TV: "I can’t recall ever having a shark attack in this area."
Drones and SMART drumlines have been deployed in the area as the DPI and police search for the killer shark.
Locals said sharks had been common in the area in recent months after being attracted by schools of baitfish, 9News reported.
The tragic incident is the first fatal shark attack Down Under this year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society.
A man was believed to have been killed by a shark back in January on the Limestone Coast after a torn wetsuit and slippers were found floating in the water.
The death of Duncan Crawe, 32, was not recorded as a shark-related demise as further investigations suggested he had died from an undisclosed medical source before his body was eaten.
Last year, nine people were killed in some 60 attacks across the globe – the highest figure since 2013.
Source: Read Full Article