Holidaymakers told to pack up and leave Europe's biggest caravan park

Thousands of holidaymakers are told to pack up and leave Europe’s biggest caravan park in Wales within hours of new Covid rules being announced

  • Dazed holidaymakers were seen hurriedly leaving Trecco Pay holiday park
  • Site’s owners announced it would go into ‘hibernation’ from 6pm last night 
  • Gatherings of more than one household are banned over the new local rules 

Europe’s largest caravan park in Wales has ordered all 4,000 people on site to pack up and leave immediately due to a local lockdown being enforced. 

Dazed holidaymakers were seen hurriedly leaving Trecco Pay holiday park in Porthcawl last night after its owners said it would go into ‘hibernation’ from 6pm. 

Parkdean Resorts, the company which runs the site, said everyone had been asked to leave the park ‘as soon as possible’. 

Holidaymakers were seen hurriedly leaving Trecco Pay holiday park in Porthcawl last night after its owners said it would go into ‘hibernation’ from 6pm

Parkdean Resorts, the company which runs the site, said everyone had been asked to leave the park ‘as soon as possible’

A lockdown came into force in Bridgend at 6pm yesterday, having already been active in Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent and Newport.

Under the new rules people won’t be allowed to leave each area, or return, unless they have an exceptional reason.  

Gatherings of more than one household – excluding ‘support bubbles’ – are also banned.

Holidaymakers currently on the site will be offered a full refund, a credit note for 120% of their holiday price or the option to re-book a break at another park, the company said.

Guests due to travel to the park within the next two weeks have also been contacted and offered a refund.

Steve Richards, CEO of Parkdean Resorts, which owns Trecco Bay, said: ‘This closure will affect many businesses and jobs in Porthcawl who rely on the regular influx of tourists to the area and, of course it will mean many hard working Welsh people who account for over 90% of our guests, will now not be able to enjoy a well-earned break.’

Sean Gattrell, 25, from Newport, is part of one family who have been asked to leave Trecco Bay.

He arrived on Friday with his partner Chloe Brant, 21, and baby Layla Gattrell, 14 months, together with other family members.

A lockdown came into force in Bridgend at 6pm yesterday, having already been active in Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent and Newport 

Mr Gattrell said his family were meant to stay until this coming Friday, but were suddenly asked to leave this afternoon.

He said: ‘We overheard one of the Parkdean members say that at 6pm they were leaving. Customers were told they had to leave by 6pm.

‘They just basically said with the restrictions coming in they had to close – the whole park had to close.

‘We have had three-and-a-half to four hours to pack everything and get the baby ready to get off the site.’

Mr Gattrell said the family have been told they will be fully refunded for the booking, but he now faces further heartbreak as he lives in a different area to his partner.

They are also travelling by bus and train to get home so are in for a long journey.

‘My partner and my baby are from Cardiff,’ he added. ‘It’s hard to get everything together because we had to bring extra for the baby.

‘It’s mixed emotions – it’s sad because I live in Newport. I am separated from my partner and my baby.

‘I’m in lockdown and they are not. Layla has enjoyed the holiday, but she is just so confused now.’

Holidaymakers currently on the site will be offered a full refund, a credit note for 120% of their holiday price or the option to re-book a break at another park, the company said

Independent councillor for the Porthcawl East Central ward Brian Jones said he would like to thank Parkdean Resorts for closing the site.

‘I’m thankful the management of Parkdean have considered the guidelines from the Welsh Government and have decided to close Trecco,’ he said.

‘This could have had a dramatic effect on the rise in this area.’ 

Parkdean Resorts said Trecco Bay is Europe’s largest holiday park.

Since the park reopened on July 13, the company said more than 50,000 have visited the site.

It is not yet known how many holidaymakers are currently on the site, but Parkdean Resorts said all guests have now been asked to leave ‘as soon as possible’. 

Source: Read Full Article