World News

Man killed after being electrocuted 'charging phone while using earphones to listen to music' as cops warn over cheap chargers

Cops have issued a warning about the dangers of cheap chargers after Kritsada Supol was found dead with his Samsung plugged into a power point.


Kritsada, 24, appeared to have been listening to music or talking to someone, with the mic section of the earphones resting over his lips.

The property owner visited the room in Chonburi, Thailand, on Sunday and found the 24-year-old's body on the mattress with signs of burning around his ears.

Police from the Phan Thong Provincial Police Station in Chonburi, Thailand, arrived and carried the dead body from the property.

'BURNING AROUND HIS EARS'

Police Captain Jaleuk Polthong said police believe that Kritsada was electrocuted while using the earphones and charging his smartphone at the same time.

The captain said: ‘"We believe a short circuit caused his death while he was on the phone with someone or he was listening to music.’’

Officers blamed a poor quality charger for the death. Police Captain Polthong added: ‘"Many people could be in danger if they use cheap chargers which are not manufactured from the authorised company.

We believe a short circuit caused his death while he was on the phone with someone or he was listening to music

"It looks like the victim was electrocuted but the body will be sent for an autopsy to confirm the exact cause of death."

Cheap chargers can lead to electrocution by not bringing the power down.

A wall socket usually has an output of 240 volts but most chargers have an output of five volts, which is an expensive conversion.

Is it safe to use your phone while it is charging?

Many phone companies state you can make full use of your phone or tablet while it is being charged.

However they say it will charge slower if it is used while being charged.

They also say that you must ensure you use the right kind of charger as different ones have varying amperage.

But there have been a few reported cases of deaths around the world that purport to have been the result of wearing headphones while a phone was charging.

 

 

If the charger is too cheap it can malfunction, sending 240 volts through the cables to the head.

Kritsada is not the first person to die in such circumstances.

Last year, student Luiza Pinheiro, from Riacho Frio in Brazil, was electrocuted while charging her phone as the headphones "melted in her ears".






 

 

Source: Read Full Article