Moment 'idiot' thrill-seeker hit by giant wave in midst of Storm Arwen

Tide and tested! Moment ‘idiot’ thrill-seeker is nearly swallowed by giant wave while standing on Scarborough seafront in the midst of Storm Arwen… but manages to remain on his feet

  • The unsuspecting man was wandering along Scarborough seafront promenade 
  • He realised a huge wave was about to crest over the barrier but it was too late
  • The water engulfed him has he ran along the promenade in vain trying to escape
  • He somehow managed to stay on his feet to narrowly avoid being swept away
  • Three people have died in the UK as a result of falling trees due to Storm Arwen 

This unsuspecting man almost became the fourth victim of Storm Arwen as he narrowly escaped being swept away by a giant wave that engulfed Scarborough seafront. 

The shocking footage shows the man standing on the promenade in North Yorkshire with no regard for his safety as a violent sea rages just metres away.

The waves continue to churn before breaking up and over the seafront barrier, but the man realises all too late and is swallowed up by a huge swathe of water as he desperately scrambles for safety.

For a moment it looks as though he has been swept away and into the sea, before he emerges seconds later, soaking wet and freezing but miraculously still on his feet. 

His lucky escape has seen him branded an ‘idiot’ online for his lack of common sense in the face of perilous conditions. 

It comes as Storm Arwen batters the North of England and Scotland with 100mph winds and flurries of snow, leading to the deaths of three people. 

The camera sees two people standing on the promenade in Scarborough watching the stormy seas as the soon-to-be victim walks into shot from the right, before panning to capture a huge wave cresting over the seafront barrier and onto the promenade

The camera turns back to see the man, centre, running along the promenade in vain trying to get to safety before he is engulfed by the wave

He is completely engulfed by the wave and it seems for a moment that he has been swept into the sea. But as the wave recedes the man is seen miraculously still on his feet.

Forecasters today issued a yellow weather warning for snow and ice as freezing conditions continue to sweep across the UK in the aftermath of Storm Arwen.

Three people were killed by falling trees on Friday, as extreme winds and snap snowfalls caused damage to buildings, road closures and train delays.  

The Met Office has said it expects to see the mercury fall below zero in many parts of the country to as low as -10C (14F) in the late hours of Sunday, while snow showers are forecast to intensify over parts of Scotland and the North West of England into next week.

Today, officials inspected the snow covered pitch ahead of the Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur match at Turf Moor and vehicles were left abandoned in the snow in Consett, in County Durham, after heavy snowfall in the area overnight. 

It comes as forecasters predict further wintry showers in the east and a band of rain, sleet and snow for parts of Scotland over the next three days.

The showers will continue to move across western areas of the country on Thursday before a warmer air mass brings heavy showers on Friday – which is expected to continue into the weekend.  

A cold weather alert issued by the UK Health Security Agency on Friday is set to remain in place until at least Monday, prompting advice to people to try to stay warm and look out for those most at risk from the effects of the chilly conditions such as the elderly and anyone with heart and lung problems.

Staff attempt to clear snow from the pitch prior to the Premier League match between Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur at Turf Moor 

Police said one storm victim, from Lancaster, was killed at around 11pm on Friday night on Vicarage Road in Ambleside, Cumbria, and another was killed when a tree fell on his car on the B977 in Aberdeenshire around 5pm on Friday. 

Francis Lagan, head teacher of St Mary’s Primary School in Maghera, also died after a falling tree struck his car in Antrim, Northern Ireland, on Friday. 

Following his death, Sinn Fein MLA Declan Kearney said: ‘I was shocked and very saddened to learn about the death of a motorist after a tree fell on his car while travelling along the Dublin Road in Antrim town on Friday evening.

‘The victim of this tragedy, Francis Lagan, was a highly respected South Derry school principal, who made an immense contribution to the community which he served. Francis was a renowned Maghera educationalist and civic leader.

‘My thoughts and sympathies are with his family, school colleagues and students, and the wider community of Maghera, where he was held in very great regard.’

The Ribblehead viaduct in North Yorkshire surrounded by snow on Sunday morning after a weekend of bad weather brought on by Storm Arwen

St Mary’s deputy head Martina Bradley wrote on the school’s website: ‘It is with great pain and sadness… that I have to inform you of the untimely death of our much-loved principal Mr Lagan. May his gentle soul rest in peace.’

In a social media post, St Patrick’s College in Maghera, where Mr Lagan was a pupil in the 1990s, said: ‘Education in south Derry has lost a giant in his prime.’ 

Police urged people to travel only if absolutely necessary amid the strong winds after roads were closed by fallen debris in the worst-hit parts of Scotland this weekend.

Coastguards also asked Storm Arwen sightseers to stay away from the sea, warning: ‘No selfie is worth killing yourself for’.

On Friday night part of a ceiling at a Wetherspoons’ in Wales collapsed above some of the customers during the storm and the premises had to be evacuated.

Punters were removed from the premises of the North and South Bank pub in Wrexham shortly after 10.20pm after plaster chunks fell, but fortunately no staff or customers were injured.  

Punters accused of faking injuries by Wetherspoons pub

A Wetherspoons pub accused customers of faking injuries when a bar ceiling collapsed during Storm Arwen.

Customers fled the historic building of The North and South Wales Bank pub in Wrexham, North Wales, when chunks of plaster fell from the ceiling.

The pub chain giant alleged two customers ‘pretended’ to have been injured in the Friday night drama as Storm Anwen rocked the area.

A spokesperson for JD Wetherspoon said: ‘At 10:23pm the ceiling inside the N&S Wales Bank to the right of the bar collapsed. Staff called the emergency services and evacuated the pub immediately.

‘No customers or staff were injured although two customers pretended they had been hit but when confronted by the police and Wetherspoons staff looking at CCTV it showed clearly that no customers were struck by any debris.’

The pub remained shut over the weekend for safety checks.

The historic building built in 1905 was a major bank in the town before becoming a Wetherspoon’s pub.

Wetherspoons has confirmed no staff or customers were injured during the incident.

On social media on regular said: ‘There was a big bang and a lot of dust. But I didn’t see anyone hit by the plaster.’

The Welsh Ambulance Service said they were called to the scene at 10.26pm following reports of two potentially injured customers.

But it said the ‘potentially injured’ customers had left by the time paramedics arrived and the team was stood down.

Footage filmed inside the pub shows customers rushing to get out of the way of the falling debris. 

The pub will remain closed until further notice while a structural engineer, builder and architect assess the damage.


Source: Read Full Article