Woman’s warning to nail biters as mate ‘is rushed to hospital with yellow and purple swollen thumbs caused by infection’ – The Sun

A WOMAN has issued a distressing warning to people who bite their nails after her friend contracted an infection that could have been fatal.

Karen Peat, from Scotland, posted the harrowing message on Facebook along with pictures of the infected finger, warning others about the potential dangers of the bad habit.

She also posted pictures of her pal's swollen finger with a yellow-tinged blister that was bulging out of the skin.

After attempting to cure the infection with over-the-counter products, Karen's friend was rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary when it didn't get any better.

Despite seeking advice from two pharmacists, the friend was told that the finger could have been fatal if it was left any longer – since the infection was travelling up their arm.

The warning said: "A message to nail biters out there STOP!!!

"Someone I know who prefers to remain nameless who bites their nails ended up having to get rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary today for emergency surgery because they had bitten their nails down too far and had got an infection in the finger.


"This person had been to two chemists and spoken to two separate pharmacists over the past few days who had advised to use magnesium sulphate and keep it covered it still got worse.

"When we finally went to the A&E this morning was told if left much longer it could have been fatal as the infection was travelling up the arm hence the emergency surgery!

"So please please stop biting your nails!!"

Last year, a student had to have her thumb amputated after developing a rare form of cancer she believed was liked to biting her nails.

Courtney Whithorn started biting her nails after being bullied at school – and her habit became so bad she bit her thumb nail completely off in 2014.

The student underwent three surgeries to remove the cancerous cells before doctors decided to amputate the digit.

Courtney, originally from Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham, but moved to The Gold Coast, Australia, nine years ago said: “When I found out that biting my nail off was the cause of the cancer it shattered me.

“My hand was just constantly in a fist because I didn’t want anyone to see it – not even my parents."

Source: Read Full Article