WE OFTEN vacuum around the house without a second thought of what gets sucked up.
But a cleaning expert has revealed five items you should never try to vacuum and it could cause lasting damage to the household appliance.
Taking to social media, Caroline, from the US, listed the items, "Here's some things you can't vacuum," she began.
In the clip, she said you should avoid vacuuming baking soda up as the particles can clog the filter.
This will be bad news for people using baking soda to clean their mattresses as most people try to vacuum it off.
Instead, it's best to brush the majority of baking soda off and use a lint roller to get rid of any small particles left behind.
READ MORE CLEANING HACKS
I tried a TikTok foaming hack to clean clogged drains, you’ll have the items
Get rid of stubborn rust stains on your sink in seconds with no scrubbing
Glass shards should also never be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner as it can damage the insides.
It's much better to sweep any broken glass and put them into the bin.
"Plant debris, too many dead leaves can clog your machine, so sweep them up instead," the cleaning expert added.
While it might be tempting to get the vacuum out for any spilled make-up powders – these can also destroy your vacuum.
Most read in Fabulous
Let your heart travel freely towards someone you’ve been resisting
Harry and Meghan swig beer at volleyball final as they celebrate Duke’s birthday
I’m a sexpert – these are the ancient moves from the past to boost your bonks
I’m such a pain in the a**e mum – I’ve even banned cereal, says Julia Bradbury
Caroline revealed make-up particles can melt inside the vacuum.
Lastly, she warned against vacuuming ash and dust from fireplaces as they can also be dangerous to vacuums.
The clip posted to her TikTok account @neat.caroline has since gone viral with over 1,000 likes.
People were quick to share their thoughts in the comments, and many were stunned by the amount of products they couldn't use it for.
One person wrote: "What’s the point of a vacuum cleaner if you’re going to sweep everything."
Another commented: "I guess I’ll just use a broom instead of a vacuum."
"So you can't ever use your vacuum because it'll break got it," penned a third.
Meanwhile a fourth said: "I mean, if you clean your vacuum regularly, everything but the glass should be fine."
READ MORE SUN STORIES
Molly-Mae Hague shares glimpse of rarely-seen mum on day out with daughter Bambi
M&S is making a huge change at checkouts – and shoppers will be divided
Someone else added: "What’s the point in having a vacuum cleaner then?!?!"
Fabulous will pay for your exclusive stories. Just email: fab[email protected] and pop EXCLUSIVE in the subject line.
Cleaning hacks and tips
Here are some tips to help you clean your home like a pro:
- How to clean your washing machine in a few easy steps
- Keep on top of cleaning your oven regularly
- Clean your shower to ensure it's always sparkling
- How to clean your microwave using cheap household items
- Here's how to get rid of that nasty limescale in your kettle
- You're cleaning your carpet all wrong – here's how to get it spotless again in no time
- Unblock a toilet without a plunger
- Clean your fabric or leather sofa in a few easy steps
- If you haven't cleaned your mattress in ages, here's how
- Steps to cleaning your dishwasher to leave it looking brand new
- This is how to clean mirrors and windows without streaking
- Keep your toilet clean in four easy steps
- Give your TV screen a once-over
- Did you know your Venetian, Roman, vertical, or roller blinds also need cleaning?
- Deep-clean your fridge in five simple steps
Source: Read Full Article