Newly-released audio reveals how VAR convinced ref Taylor to overturn Kai Havertz’s penalty shout in Arsenal vs Man Utd | The Sun

AUDIO of the decision to overturn a penalty awarded to Kai Havertz during Arsenals' victory over Manchester United has been released.

The audio and video footage was released as part of the new Match Officials: Mic'd Up show on Sky Sports.

The programme sees PGMOL chief Howard Webb review the weekend's decisions alongside Michael Owen in the Sky Sports studio.

The show sees the refs chief go through both correct and incorrect calls from the weekend in an attempt to increase transparency in the refereeing process.

Tuesday's show saw them break down the decision to overturn Anthony Taylor's call to award a penalty to Kai Havertz after he was judged to have been fouled by Aaron Wan-Bissaka – with Webb concluding it was the right call.

Webb said: "I was watching this game and thought to myself, that looks like a penalty kick. 


Arteta bizarrely compares Havertz’s goalscoring problems to how he met his WIFE

Get £20 in free bets when you stake £5 on football with Ladbrokes

"At full speed as Kai Havertz goes between Wan-Bissaka and Casemiro. The penalty was given and we know that the VAR will always check every penalty situation.

"It was a good use of VAR. The referee believed that Wan-Bissaka had tripped Havertz, but the video shows something quite different that there's no actual contact initially.

"Another step by Havertz, his leg goes into Wan-Bissaka. The VAR, really calm and concise, recognises all of that, thinks it's a clear and obvious error. I agree. Recommends a review. We get to the right decision."

The man in charge of VAR that day was Australian Jared Gilette, who explained to Taylor that while on first watch it did seem as though Wan-Bissaka had tripped Havertz, replays showed that the German had let his leg trail – and initiated the contact as he went down.

Most read in Football


Premier League release VAR audio of Onana ‘foul’ vs Wolves with fans left fuming


Stadium bigger than Wembley left half-finished & abandoned after club relegated


Five shocking claims by Antony’s ex – from smashed boob implant to Neymar pic row


Man Utd hero who played in first game after Munich disaster dies aged 83


After Gilette explained his view to on-field referee Taylor, the decision was overturned and a drop-ball was given to restart play.

There was also VAR controversy late on as Alejandro Garnacho's 88th minute strike was ruled out for a tight offside.

The goal would have put United 2-1 up and possibly secured all three points for Erik Ten Hag's side. Instead, Declan Rice struck a dramatic 96th minute winner for the Gunners before Gabriel Jesus scored a third to seal the winfor Arsenal.

Source: Read Full Article