Mystery as young athlete dies just two days after moving to Australia

Mystery as young Irish athlete dies just two days after moving to Australia with his girlfriend

  • Footballer had just moved to Australia with girlfriend 
  • Matthew McGuigan, 24, died suddenly on Saturday
  • READ MORE: Irishman who was finding his feet in Australia left ‘broken everywhere’ and fighting for life

A young Irishman tragically died on Saturday just two days after he and his girlfriend had moved to Australia. 

Matthew McGuigan, 24, and his partner Clodagh Corr arrived in Sydney last Thursday night, but less than 48 hours later Mr McGuigan died after suddenly becoming ill. 

Known as Matty, the man from Cookstown, Country Tyrone played representative Gaelic football in his home country and had already joined Sydney club Cormac McAnallens. 

The club posted online that ‘Matty had only recently arrived in Sydney with his girlfriend Clodagh, and in his short time spent here, had touched the lives of many that were fortunate enough to have encountered him.’

Mr McGuigan’s older brother, Darragh, paid tribute on social media, saying ‘Forever young, love you forever.

Young Irishman Matthew McGuigan (pictured) tragically died on Saturday just two days after he and his girlfriend had moved to Australia

Matty McGuigan is pictured with his girlfriend Clodagh Corr. The young Irish couple arrived in Sydney on Thursday, but Mr McGuigan tragically died on Saturday

‘Very grateful to have you as a brother for 27 years of my life, don’t know how this has happened or why – I’ll never understand.’

The talented athlete had played at the under-18 level for Tyrone in Ireland’s football championship.

READ MORE: Irish tourist dies in crash after planning new life in Australia 

The county’s Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) said ‘Matty’s contributions to his team were nothing short of extraordinary, and his legacy as a player will forever be etched in the hearts of those who had the privilege of witnessing his prowess on the field.

‘His commitment to the game and his unwavering spirit has undoubtedly left an indelible mark on Kildress Wolfe Tones and the broader community in Tyrone.

‘We extend our deepest sympathies to the McGuigan and Treacy Families, to Matthew’s partner and friends,’ Tyrone GAA posted. 

Kildress Wolfe Tones’ chairman Dominic McGurk told the Belfast Live publication that the whole community was ‘devastated’. 

‘Matty has been our senior captain the last two years, he was our leader at 24 years of age. He became captain at just 22 years of age,’ Mr McGurk said.

‘He was the manager of our minor (under 18) team last Sunday, he was a committee member as well. He was just a real leader.’

Mr McGurk said after arriving in Sydney, Mr McGuigan and his Ms Corr ‘had sent home photographs to family of them together standing outside in the sun in Australia’.

The couple had planned to spend at least six months in Australia to experience a new way of life.

‘As much as we didn’t want him to go because he was our captain, it’s nice for people to go out and enjoy life,’ Mr McGurk said.

‘Little did we know that he would be coming home in these circumstances.’

As well as playing Gaelic football, Mr McGuigan also played soccer with his local club Cookstown Olympic. 

Matty McGuigan, pictured with his girlfriend Clodagh Corr, was a talented sportsman

Matty McGuigan, who died in Sydney on Saturday two days after arriving from Australia, is pictured with his brother Darragh

‘Matty was a fantastic footballer and an even better person,’ the club said in a statement. 

A GoFundme appeal set up by a McGuigan family friend to provide assistance had already raised almost four times its goal figure by Monday morning. 

‘No words can express my sorrow and the heartache when I heard the terrible news of Matty’s passing … I know there is nothing we can do to take the pain away but I’m hoping by setting this page up it will help,’ the friend said.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Cormac McAnallens GAA club for comment.  

READ MORE: Irish tradie dies suddenly while working at WA mine 

A young Irish tradie has died unexpectedly while working at an Aussie mine, sparking an outpouring of grief from both sides of the world.

Alan Walsh, 26, was working at a mine site in Perth on September 28 when he suffered a sudden medical episode and couldn’t be revived.

Source: Read Full Article