Yorkshire Ripper victims: Who are the survivors of Peter Sutcliffe's attacks?

PETER Sutcliffe will forever be remembered for his heinous crimes, which included the murder of 13 women.

But the serial killer, dubbed the Yorkshire Ripper, was also guilty of attacking several other women who have bravely shared their stories.

Who survived the Yorkshire Ripper?

Dubbed the Yorkshire Ripper, on May 22, 1981, Sutcliffe was convicted of murdering 13 women and attempting to murder seven others.

His killing spree lasted from 1975 until 1980, and left many unable to leave their homes for fear of being his next victim.

Sutcliffe was serving 20 concurrent sentences of life imprisonment, which was increased to a whole-life order in 2010.

The serial killer refused to confess to every attack and died in prison aged 74 on November 13, 2020, after refusing treatment for coronavirus.

The notorious killer suffered from a range of conditions including heart trouble, diabetes and obesity. 

The convict lost the sight in his left eye in 1997 after being attacked with a pen by a fellow inmate and was totally blind after an injection in his right eye went wrong.



What happened to Wendy Sewell?


Find out whether the Yorkshire Ripper is alive, and where he is


Who is Andrew Evans? Former soldier who had murder conviction overturned

Yorkshire Ripper murders

All about detective George Oldfield

WARNING: The below contains graphic content which some readers may find upsetting.

Who survived the Yorkshire Ripper?

Anna Rogulsky

On July 5, 1975, Sutcliffe attacked Anna Rogulsky from Keighley, Bradford.

Rogulsky, was knocked unconscious with hammer and slashed in the stomach with a knife.

She was left for dead in a doorway after Sutcliffe was disturbed by a neighbour and fled the scene.  

Anna survived thanks to 12 hours of surgery in which a metal plate was fitted to her skull.

She passed away peacefully in 2008 – aged 75.

Olive Smelt

A month after attacking Rogulsky, Sutcliffe attacked Olive Smelt in Halifax.

The serial killer struck her from behind with a hammer and inflicted serious knife wounds from behind.

But, as fate would have it, Sutcliffe was interrupted and was forced to flee the scene.

Smelt survived the ordeal but remained forever traumatised.

She died in hospital in 2011, aged 82.

Tracey Browne

Sutcliffe’s next victim was 14-year-old Tracey Browne – who was assaulted as she walked along a country lane in Silsden, Bradford.

The teen was struck on the head five times, but was spared death when Sutcliffe allegedly ran off after spotting the lights of a passing car.

The serial killer was never formally convicted on the attack, but reportedly confessed to the assault in 1993.

Browne survived the ordeal after undergoing life saving brain surgery.

Marcella Claxton

Marcella Claxton had been out drinking in Leeds in 1976 when the monster approached her in his white Ford Corsair asking if she was "doing business".

Marcella, then aged 20, told him she wasn't a prostitute but asked for a lift home.

Sutcliffe then battered the young woman, who had learning difficulties, with a hammer as she left the car with her back to him.

The brave survivor later opened up about her experience as she revealed that she is still suffering the effects of the brutal attack more than 40 years later.

She told Sky News: "I have to live with my injuries, 54 stitches in my head, back and front, plus I lost a baby, I was four months pregnant.

"I still get headaches, dizzy spells and black outs."

Maureen Long

On July 1977, Sutcliffe spotted Maureen Long coming out of a nightclub in Bradford.

He offered her a lift home before she got out to urinate on some waste ground.

Evil Sutcliffe took his opportunity and struck her on the back of her head knocking her out.

He then proceeded to stab her all over her upper body.

Miraculously, the mother-of-three was discovered alive several hours later by two women walking nearby.

Mo Lea

Mo Lea was studying art in Leeds 40 years ago when she became a target of the depraved serial killer.

She had been out with pals planning her 21st birthday on October 25, 1980, when the fiend pounced as she walked to the bus stop alone.

Mo woke up in hospital with a fractured skull, fractured cheekbone, a broken jaw and a puncture wound to the back of her skull.

The monster had hit her with a hammer and used a sharpened screwdriver to try to sever her spinal cord in a chilling nod to his other victims.

He had left Mo covered in blood in the gutter to die with her own parents unable to recognise her.

After initially suffering from PTSD, Mo conquered her demons and returned to school to secure a 2.1 degree in fine art.

She also took part in a five-step programme that allowed her to look at pictures of her attacker.

Marilyn Moore

Marilyn Moore, a 25-year-old sex worker, was attacked in the back of Stutcliffe’s car.

She was assaulted on a waste ground in Scott Hall, Leeds before her screams and a barking dog convicted Sutcliffe to flee the scene.

Upadhya Bandara

On September 24, 1980, Sutcliffe followed Upadhya Bandara into an alley in Headingley, Leeds, as the 34-year-old walked home after meeting friends.

The serial killer hit Bandara on the head – rendering her unconscious – before tying a rope around her neck and dragging her along the street.

However, a neighbour investigating the noise called the police and Sutcliffe ran off.

Theresa Sykes

On November 5, 1980, Theresa Sykes, 16, was walking home from a shop, in Oakes, Huddersfield, when Sutcliffe hit her from behind.

She was only saved when her boyfriend appeared on the scene.

    Source: Read Full Article